Internal Issues

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the pj card that is at issue. Another long white string poo tonight. Not breathing fast, no spots, no skin issues, but he didn't eat well and is getting blown around a bit more. Is there a way to dose general cure in the water column of a hospital tank?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the pj card that is at issue. Another long white string poo tonight. Not breathing fast, no spots, no skin issues, but he didn't eat well and is getting blown around a bit more. Is there a way to dose general cure in the water column of a hospital tank?
Wife's I phone ftw
1662.jpeg

Csi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

What is the quantity of Focus to be added to prepare 100 grams of frozen food?

Thank you

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

What is the quantity of Focus to be added to prepare 100 grams of frozen food?

Thank you

I use 2 scoops GC + 1 scoop Focus for roughly a tablespoon of frozen food

Or 1 scoop metroplex + 1 scoop Focus for the same

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is very thin :( You could try to move him to a hospital tank to dose the water. Ultimately though, you really need to get him eating so you can gets the meds to the gut directly.
Thank you very much for your help. I see you tirelessly assisting so many people on here. It really is appreciated.
Sadly, Mr. Pooper perished Saturday evening. I saw a white stringy poop on thursday, googled it and was watchful. Saw another friday night, posted for help and ordered meds, but he was gone by morning :(
The interweb said that worms/parasites are a very slow-motion issue. He must have been ill for some time and not symptomatic and my novice eyes didn't detect an issue. He was always the smallest of the three :(

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry for your loss :( Internal parasites can go undetected for some time... at least now you know what signs to keep an eye out for in the future.

I personally de-worm all of my fish prophylactically, but there is some debate surrounding the idea of treating preemptively. It’s hard, because it’s one of those things that can be very subtle at first, and by the time symptoms are noticeable it’s usually quite advanced and can be difficult to treat. Especially if the fish stops eating.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry for your loss :( Internal parasites can go undetected for some time... at least now you know what signs to keep an eye out for in the future.

I personally de-worm all of my fish prophylactically, but there is some debate surrounding the idea of treating preemptively. It’s hard, because it’s one of those things that can be very subtle at first, and by the time symptoms are noticeable it’s usually quite advanced and can be difficult to treat. Especially if the fish stops eating.

Thank you. I just logged his passing on my build thread. I understand fish die, but I'm responsible for them when they die in my dining room. I am confident I'll be quicker to spot a similar issue in the future.
I also appreciate not clubbing me over the head with not treating prophylactically. Until now, that was an academic issue for me to ponder. I see I'll need to do more than I have done. I'll leave it at that, so as not to hijack this thread into a qt methods battlefield.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I just logged his passing on my build thread. I understand fish die, but I'm responsible for them when they die in my dining room. I am confident I'll be quicker to spot a similar issue in the future.
I also appreciate not clubbing me over the head with not treating prophylactically. Until now, that was an academic issue for me to ponder. I see I'll need to do more than I have done. I'll leave it at that, so as not to hijack this thread into a qt methods battlefield.

I certainly don’t blame you, everyone has their own methods and reasons ;) Most of the processes I’ve adopted have come from similar, unfortunate learning experiences ... sadly.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 scoops GC + 1 scoop Focus for roughly a tablespoon of frozen food

Or 1 scoop metroplex + 1 scoop Focus for the same
Just wondering why you use 2 scoops of GC and not 1 per tablespoon. Treating a fish that I suspect has internal parasites now.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering why you use 2 scoops of GC and not 1 per tablespoon. Treating a fish that I suspect has internal parasites now.
When I broke it down, general cure has a good bit less metronidazole than metroplex. So I use two scoops to compensate. You get a bit more prazi then too, but, I've never observed any ill effects... even in wrasses.

I use 2 scoops GC, a scoop of focus, and roughly a tablespoon of frozen food.

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12 year old clownfish that has been having white stringy poos the last 3 days. It seems healthy and eats. Is the only things I need to treat it is the Focus and API General Cure? The tank is a 90 gallon and has 6 Blue/Green Chromis, 1 Yellow and Blue Tang and 2 clowns. I feed the tank 2 frozen cubes in the morning and two in the evening. So I guess I do the medication in the morning feeding. So that is 2 scoops of GC and 1 scoop of Focus into the 2 cubes of thawed food. I can under everything on Amazon but I wont get the Focus until June 24th even with Prime. Do you think the clown will be fine until then? Marine Depot has it but I would have to pay $20 for 2 day shipping.

IMG_4731.jpg

IMG_4744.jpg

Last edited:

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone. It’s been about a week and he still has these stringy poos. But he looks completely healthy. Should I ride it out. It looks brown in the picture but to me it looks white. The video is just after feeding. The poo had dropped off by then.

4A9B7545-289C-4616-AD36-EAB96FEFC41A.jpeg

5DA86E98-7D05-4E82-88C6-F9AB206690DE.jpeg

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I broke it down, general cure has a good bit less metronidazole than metroplex. So I use two scoops to compensate. You get a bit more prazi then too, but, I've never observed any ill effects... even in wrasses.

I use 2 scoops GC, a scoop of focus, and roughly a tablespoon of frozen food.

I like this idea, I will try that next time, what frozen food do you prefer to medicate?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea, I will try that next time, what frozen food do you prefer to medicate?

I use PE mysis usually, less “small” pieces to have floating around so almost all of it is eaten if fed slowly.

It’s seems like there is a bit less food per cube with PE though, so I use 3 cubes usually.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use PE mysis usually, less “small” pieces to have floating around so almost all of it is eaten if fed slowly.

It’s seems like there is a bit less food per cube with PE though, so I use 3 cubes usually.

Makes sense,

Do you refreeze or fridge the left overs or is this a single feeding ?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense,

Do you refreeze or fridge the left overs or is this a single feeding ?

I usually just refrigerate the leftovers, a batch will last in the fridge for 4-5 days. After that, I usually toss it and start a new batch.

You can re-freeze it as well if you’d like... just remember to thaw and strain before feeding.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back