Intestinal Parasite Treatment

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 30L (2nd tank) that I started in January 2020 with live sand, dry rock and microbacter7 / ammonia fish less and no lights to date. Will be keeping only LPS in future. Added two ORA and quarantined clowns about two weeks ago. Looked healthy after quarantine, eating well and active. Female is showing signs of intestinal parasites (white stringy poop)and didn’t eat yesterday or today. Thinking I may need to retreat with API GC. Should I put some in food and in tank.

My question is can I use ACI General Cure in a tank that will someday have LPS or should I set up hospital tank. I know no cooper, but this should dissipate or be removed with carbon. Am I right? Rock and sand be ok afterwards? Should I treat both again?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Treat the fish in one of these two ways. Also, stringy poop in not a sure fire diagnosis, but treating them should not hurt them.
1. Soak food in a metronidazole and focus solution and feed only that to the fish. This will treat the internal parasites and do little damage to anything else.
2. Use a food medicated with either metronidazole or praziquantel to treat. Feed only that food for 15 days.

I do this with my fish every now and then and never an issue with corals or biological filtration.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Treat the fish in one of these two ways. Also, stringy poop in not a sure fire diagnosis, but treating them should not hurt them.
1. Soak food in a metronidazole and focus solution and feed only that to the fish. This will treat the internal parasites and do little damage to anything else.
2. Use a food medicated with either metronidazole or praziquantel to treat. Feed only that food for 15 days.

I do this with my fish every now and then and never an issue with corals or biological filtration.
This^

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So can I mix API General Cure, which has metro and Prazi, with Focus in frozen food (LRS FRENZY) and feed? Can I run skimmer? And how much of each powder to add? Waiting on Focus to arrive by mail

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can I mix API General Cure, which has metro and Prazi, with Focus in frozen food (LRS FRENZY) and feed? Can I run skimmer? And how much of each powder to add? Waiting on Focus to arrive by mail
You can also use gelatin or agar in the place of Focus.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back