Intro: New (again) reefer in east Alabama

Nemo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - I lived for many years in Hsv, and had successful 50g and 75g reef tanks under MH and Actinic VHO lighting. I retired to east AL a few years ago, into a smaller residence, and now am setting up a nano reef tank with LED lighting to have something to watch in the den besides the re-runs on TV.
Once I get the nano hardware set up and going, I will be needing some seed material to get the bio cycle started... I hope someone in the Bhm area can sell me a handful (or two) of the sand/rubble/etc. from their tank to get me started before I add any corals / livestock...
... Glad I found this Bhm-area group on R2R - there's just not much reef activity in east Alabama! - looking forward to following the threads / posts here - Steve

THN4AU

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to find the forum too but there doesn’t seem to be much activity. Are you in the North AL Saltwater group?

OP
OP
N

Nemo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I understand there is more activity in the N AL area.
I reside in east-central AL (Cleburne Co) a little over an hour east of Bhm ... hoping to meet up with some of the Bhm area reefers as I get my little nano tank going, I'll certainly appreciate the help!

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I understand there is more activity in the N AL area.
I reside in east-central AL (Cleburne Co) a little over an hour east of Bhm ... hoping to meet up with some of the Bhm area reefers as I get my little nano tank going, I'll certainly appreciate the help!
You are just right down from me, I'm right outside of Anniston. There are a few of us around that do a lot of trading back and forth. I would be happy to throw you some small zoa frags I have once you get that nano going. Always like to throw them around in case I lose some I can always find them again

OP
OP
N

Nemo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thrashed, that sounds great, thanks in advance for a few zoa frags!
Right now, I am just getting started fitting a std 20H tank into a bookcase in the den - see attached pic - so I have a long way to go until I can start stocking things into actual salt water -
Steve

Attachments

• 20H Tank.jpg
    20H Tank.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 34

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I’d be happy to help when I get back home Monday, send me a PM if you still have a need. I have a bag of Fluval ceramic Biomax sitting in my sump for just the occasion. Just finished a 76-day fallow and the tank is clean. I’ll be hitting ReefLife Tuesday at some point.
Best regards

OP
OP
N

Nemo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks BVF - that sounds perfect to "seed" the new tank's bio cycle - I'll let you know when I get things set up with water in the tank -

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back