Introducing a female clown to a male or vice versa?

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My large female black ocellaris clown recently passed away, and once my quarantine is ready, I want to get another black storm clown to pair with the one I have. Right now he's a baby, about .75" long. Should I buy a larger clown and introduce her, or wait until he gets big enough to change to female and then introduce a smaller one?

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask your clown supplier to provide you with a asexual Clownfish, this is a fish in the group that is neither the dominant female or dominant male, add to tank, then let the fish figure out who is who, more likely than not the established fish in the tank will become the dominant female, done this many times with excellent results

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The designer clowns he usually gets in are all really tiny, will it be okay if it's smaller or the same size as this clown? It will probably only be a month or two younger than the one I currently have, and 3 months by the end of qt

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a smaller one as the male could be a 50/50 male female (clownfish have 4 or so sexes depending on where you draw a border). If I remember the paper correctly, clownfish can hang in this 50/50 after a female dies

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should wait until your current fish is 100% healthy then get a young Clownfish, smaller is fine

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I good waiting a few months? This is a picture, they were paired for maybe a month before the female passed away, so he might not even have a sex. He's just so small that I don't want to introduce anything for the next little while. (He's small enough to fit through the grate on the overflow box, for reference)
1653087754744.png

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back