Introducing a Tomini Tang with a Purple Tang

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a medium size purple tang in my 75g tank, and I am now going to put in a rather small tomini tang into the system.

They have different body types, so the purple tang shouldn’t be aggressive, correct?

In the past, the purple tang allegedly killed a small flame angel that’s about the same size as the tomini tang.

I have a smaller 35g tank I can put it into if things go south.

Is there anything I can do to smoothly introduce this smaller tang into my tank?

Thanks,
Will

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a medium size purple tang in my 75g tank, and I am now going to put in a rather small tomini tang into the system.

They have different body types, so the purple tang shouldn’t be aggressive, correct?

In the past, the purple tang allegedly killed a small flame angel that’s about the same size as the tomini tang.

I have a smaller 35g tank I can put it into if things go south.

Is there anything I can do to smoothly introduce this smaller tang into my tank?

Thanks,
Will
I have the best success taping a couple mirrors to the outside of the tank glass. This will help diffuse the PT aggression. I would also feed well at introduction. You might have trouble in a 75.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the best success taping a couple mirrors to the outside of the tank glass. This will help diffuse the PT aggression. I would also feed well at introduction. You might have trouble in a 75.
You will very very likely have trouble in a 75 with only two tangs, especially with an established purple. I couldn’t get a yellow and powder brown to live together even in a 300. 75 is barely large enough for one. I'd rethink this.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A member's thread showed where a Purple killed a Yellow after over a month, so even if you get them to swim together you still take your chances.
If it were me trying it, I'd split the tank in 2 with eggcrate and let them see each other for at least 1 week.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back