Introducing CBB to tank with Purple Tang

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gal (45 sump) with a 4"-5" Purple tang (he is the only tang). I have ordered a (pre-quarantined) CBB that should be arriving soon. This is my first try at a CBB and want to give it the best shot of succeeding.

I am considering the following options:

1. Rehome the Purple Tang before introducing the CBB.
2. Move the Purple Tang to the sump for a week and introduce the CBB.
3. Setup my hospital tank (29 gal) and move the Purple for an extended period (1 month?) while the CBB settles into the DT.

I do have mirrors and an acclimation box if necessary.

I previously tried to add a regal angelfish that was bullied by the Purple to the point that the regal would not eat at all.

Any advice?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can move the purple tang to the sump or a separate tank that would be ideal. But it’s no guarantee I’ve had a few tangs that were just ******s regardless of what preventive measures I took. And from what you’re saying about the regal angel getting bullied you already kind of know what the temperament of the purple is. Sounds like you’ve done your homework though sometimes that’s all you can do and just hope for the best!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gal (45 sump) with a 4"-5" Purple tang (he is the only tang). I have ordered a (pre-quarantined) CBB that should be arriving soon. This is my first try at a CBB and want to give it the best shot of succeeding.

I am considering the following options:

1. Rehome the Purple Tang before introducing the CBB.
2. Move the Purple Tang to the sump for a week and introduce the CBB.
3. Setup my hospital tank (29 gal) and move the Purple for an extended period (1 month?) while the CBB settles into the DT.

I do have mirrors and an acclimation box if necessary.

I previously tried to add a regal angelfish that was bullied by the Purple to the point that the regal would not eat at all.

Any advice?
I would rehome the tang altogether, purples are nasty (and surprisingly, yellows are a close third with scopas tangs landing in second for aggression). And considering the CBB is both delicate and has the same body shape as the purple, it’s likely the purple will have no mercy even if reintroduced last.
Unless you completely rescape the rockwork, the Purple will recognise their territory and fight for it back.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan of putting the Purple in a penalty box is good, but may not solve the issue long term.

I had my CBB in the WB170 prior to getting a juvenile Purple (2.5”). Made it about 6mo before the Purple became aggressive to everyone at about 4”, like a playground bully.

Re-homed. Beautiful jerks they are.

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple and copperband in the same tank, though they were introduced together. The purple is much larger than the copperband which helps.

I think feeding heavy also helps, reduce food competition as much as possible. They mostly ignore each other, I've seen the Purple half heartedly chase the copperband every now and then.

I have live rock I'm culturing for a rescape if needed.

OP
OP
rainsong

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced my CBB to my PT and YT and it was bullied for two days then once they established boundaries everything went back to normal.
What size tank? Was the CBB already trained to eat before?

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME.... once the CBB is comfortable, it will point it's poison dorsal fins right at any annoying tang that looks a little too interested ... and the tangs will learn to leave it alone.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would QT the CBB alone before putting it in with any fish. Not necessarily medical QT, just a place for it to get comfortable eating (preferably from the water column) without competition. Be prepared to order worms black or white and offer clams, mussels, etc. Turn off flow when feeding also as they are not big chasers.

My yellow tang was in DT first and my cbb was eating well in QT for 90 days. At first the yellow attacked and the cbb fought it off but the yellow sideswiped it without warning a few days later and left a pretty noticeable gash in its upper half. The CBB was strong and healthy and healed, but the yellow got rehomed ( sold for $35 right before hawaii ban) Your purple may not get along well either and I would definitely also remove it before the cbb goes in to DT. You don't want a cbb trying to adjust and getting picked on. You might have success putting the purple back in to a rearranged tank after some time but plan to catch it if necessary.

For what its worth now that I have a cbb, tangs aren't nearly as interesting to me. I even got a yellow longnose to get some yellow back into the tank and have become quite fond of butterflyfish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rainsong

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to rehome the purple tang.... now to catch the darn fish...

I have some clams from the local grocery in my freezer; some Mastik on the way; a CBB feeder on the way; and a white worm culture started yesterday. I'm hoping that my CBB is still a week+ out so that the white worm culture has a chance to progress.

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rehome it based on the fact that my copperband is about 10000x as cool and personable as a Tang.

That being said.. my copperband shows the yellow tang and flame angel who is the boss.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my tangs was harassing my CBB, i got about 3-4 little mirrors and placed it around the tank taped to glass, he kept trying to get himself about 1 week later he forgot about the CBB and never bothered him again.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to rehome the purple tang.... now to catch the darn fish...

I have some clams from the local grocery in my freezer; some Mastik on the way; a CBB feeder on the way; and a white worm culture started yesterday. I'm hoping that my CBB is still a week+ out so that the white worm culture has a chance to progress.

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments!
I have had good luck catching tangs especially those that love nori in homemade fish traps. You can use a cheap clear plastic critter box with a lid and string. That's how I caught the yellow. White worms are slow to reproduce. If worms is all it will eat you'll need a lot. You can order blackworms at eastern aquatics website in large quantities if you need more. Hopefully it will eat the other stuff you offer too.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
185B0F85-C247-48C3-9576-C1059E50F431.png

This is the Tank Matez fish trap very simple but effective! I’ve caught lots of fish with this trap and I like it because it’s minimal stress and no net involved. Anyways more pricey but it does work!

OP
OP
rainsong

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still waiting for my fish from DrReef. However, the white worm cultures are coming along well. How do you guys harvest and feed them to fish? Do I pick out just enough for a feeding every day and dump into the DT? Or do I harvest once a week and store it somehow?

Thanks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back