Introducing leopard wrasse female to established male

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m finally restoring my neglected tank and am getting around to adding back to my stocking list. On the list is a female melagaris leopard wrasse to pair with the male I currently have. I once had two females and one transitioned to male. But I lost the remaining female and the male has been alone for about a year now. I have ordered a new female set to arrive Thursday. Are there any tricks to try to make sure the introduction goes smoothly or is it likely there won’t be much agression?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be tricky especially since your male has been solo for so long. The problem with adding a single female to your existing male is she will be the sole target of any potential aggression. There's also the chance this female could arrive already having begun transitioning to male. I agree, your best chance is to use an acclimation box. Be sure to have a backup plan in case he doesn't tolerate her. Let us know how it goes.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be tricky especially since your male has been solo for so long. The problem with adding a single female to your existing male is she will be the sole target of any potential aggression. There's also the chance this female could arrive already having begun transitioning to male. I agree, your best chance is to use an acclimation box. Be sure to have a backup plan in case he doesn't tolerate her. Let us know how it goes.
Kind of what I was thinking, but have no real experience to speak. I ahve only ever added females to females.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what saltyT said but I’ll add a few things
One have a back up plan if aggression starts
Two wrasse typically don’t pair as they both may turn male. 50/50 chance with melagris
If was to try and pair I would add 2 females to help spread aggression

good luck.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabby and SaltyT have said what I would’ve said. I would have a backup plan for if it goes wrong and have a third meleagris (Female). What size is your tank?

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabby and SaltyT have said what I would’ve said. I would have a backup plan for if it goes wrong and have a third meleagris (Female). What size is your tank?
My tank is 180 gals. Has a community of tangs and generally peaceful fish. I hadn’t considered that the female could have begun transitioning. That’s a concern I hadn’t considered. I do have a second tank I could move her to if things do go poorly. But I’ll check my lfs to see if they have any other same species females to add multiple at once when it arrives.

my only concern with an acclimation box is that it may be more stressful that just releasing the fish directly. I figure if she’s stressed she will just bury. Vs being unable to sleep properly in an acclimation box? Or will a bowl of sand in an acclimation box suffice?

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I will be taking it into account when acclimating after quarantine.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was also wondering. My tank is large enough to keep a pretty good population of pods for the wrasses to eat. But would it be worth ordering more and overstocking my tank with them? Would abundant food lower aggression from the male or would it be unnoticed.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 180 gals. Has a community of tangs and generally peaceful fish. I hadn’t considered that the female could have begun transitioning. That’s a concern I hadn’t considered. I do have a second tank I could move her to if things do go poorly. But I’ll check my lfs to see if they have any other same species females to add multiple at once when it arrives.

my only concern with an acclimation box is that it may be more stressful that just releasing the fish directly. I figure if she’s stressed she will just bury. Vs being unable to sleep properly in an acclimation box? Or will a bowl of sand in an acclimation box suffice?
If you have sand in the acclimation box and it’s a nice depth it shouldn’t stress out the fish too much.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was also wondering. My tank is large enough to keep a pretty good population of pods for the wrasses to eat. But would it be worth ordering more and overstocking my tank with them? Would abundant food lower aggression from the male or would it be unnoticed.
Well, it’s always better to restock the pod population every month/few months. Yes more foods could work.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry I missed your post. I don’t use acclimation box for leopards. I drop them in and watch and hope. I also keep most wrasse in a different tank to make sure they eat and get comfortable before Adding to dt.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed your post. I don’t use acclimation box for leopards. I drop them in and watch and hope. I also keep most wrasse in a different tank to make sure they eat and get comfortable before Adding to dt.
All things I can do. Problem is my “hospital tank” is a 30 gal cube with no substrate so would have to add a bowl of sand to the bottom I suppose. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your probably bett adding to dt. Just throwing out options that helped me over the years
She’s in the display. Has been since yesterday. Very shy but picking at rocks so she has an appetite. She’s out again today. But the male is following her everywhere. Not nipping or getting more than 6 inches away. But relentlessly following her around the tank which seems to be stressing her. Is he being aggressive or is he infatuated?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s in the display. Has been since yesterday. Very shy but picking at rocks so she has an appetite. She’s out again today. But the male is following her everywhere. Not nipping or getting more than 6 inches away. But relentlessly following her around the tank which seems to be stressing her. Is he being aggressive or is he infatuated?
Can you use eggcrate to divide apart of the tank. Keep her separate until she settles. She should be ok if he isn’t aggressive but if she stressed being new that could lead to a problem. Also it’s a new fish in his territory it will take him a couple days of checking her out to be comfortable enough to start being aggressive. It’s really hard to tell if I can’t watch them in person. Please keep me updated

@SaltyT @i cant think any advice

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your male pursuing her like that is concerning. He'll either determine that she's not a threat to his territory and stop following her everywhere or his following will turn into chasing then into attacking. It's a coin toss at this point.

Is he allowing her to eat? Has he chased her back into the sand at all?

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your male pursuing her like that is concerning. He'll either determine that she's not a threat to his territory and stop following her everywhere or his following will turn into chasing then into attacking. It's a coin toss at this point.

Is he allowing her to eat? Has he chased her back into the sand at all?
No. He allows her to eat. She tends to stay lower and pick at rocks and he just stares at her and always stays within a foot. Stalking is the best way I can describe it. No direct confrontation just not letting her out of his sight. I will keep a close eye whenever I’m home.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back