Introducing my home 17k gallon reef

Hedgedrew66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank Andrew. The enjoyment and obsession is not only with the livestock, its also with the process

Are you doing anything further with H2O2? I have been using it for my QT along with the tank transfer method. If H2O2 turns out to be effective, Id imagine with your QT setup and automation, you could simplify your QT process (no more praziquantel and CP, etc.)
I only use it as an extra precaution as dip leaving the qt into display. Frankly i think fresh water dip before can ensure prazi resistant flukes and get caught. But it seems to stress them out before going into display so now we dont do that on check out date. Lol.

Hedgedrew66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17k gallon? Why so small? Real estate is abundant in NY right?
That’s a beautiful setup you go there. Wish I was able to dive right in my living room.
Thank you. Not sure why we stopped at 17k. Lol. Think i should have done another 20k predator system ? Lol

Tinvn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing saltwater tank , it can fit a shark . You need some more fishes.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i must have been on drugs !! Lol.
1601589046882.png
Lol thats what I was thinking when I seen these. I do dirt. I developed nearly 500m in land in last 4 years. I know this was a serious undertaking not to mention the expense. Ill be honest if I was in the position to have this reef in my house I would. You must have serious love for this hobby.
Really remarkable.

Hedgedrew66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thats what I was thinking when I seen these. I do dirt. I developed nearly 500m in land in last 4 years. I know this was a serious undertaking not to mention the expense. Ill be honest if I was in the position to have this reef in my house I would. You must have serious love for this hobby.
Really remarkable.
Thank you. It was lots of patience. 5 years worth of it. !!

MrStoffel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing, the lengths you go to, to make your (and almost all reefers) dream a reality.
Really curiousabout the coral though. What do you have in mind? Mixed reef, SPS, LPS?
Do you plan on adding a lot of coral in one go, to spread the nibbling and picking of certain fish?
I'd love to be in quarantine at your place ;)

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you do water changes? Do you get a lot of metals in your system by using a boiler? I assume it's copper piping going to a flat plate? I also see all thread in the sump. Just curious if this is even a issue considering your massive amount of water in the system.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only because Tsm puts them through washing machine very well with meds.
If I was in your position I still wouldn't trust them. Nothing against TSM I'm sure they're great I've just found that trusting venders is a huge mistake in this hobby, and on that scale, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't reconfirm.

Hedgedrew66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing, the lengths you go to, to make your (and almost all reefers) dream a reality.
Really curiousabout the coral though. What do you have in mind? Mixed reef, SPS, LPS?
Do you plan on adding a lot of coral in one go, to spread the nibbling and picking of certain fish?
I'd love to be in quarantine at your place ;)
Thank you. Yes. But smooth non fleshy corals. Leathers. Yellow turbinara. Montipora cap acro staghorn. Pavona. Yes multiples at time

Hedgedrew66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was in your position I still wouldn't trust them. Nothing against TSM I'm sure they're great I've just found that trusting venders is a huge mistake in this hobby, and on that scale, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't reconfirm.
Yes. Thats why i put them in observation instead of into display

Hedgedrew66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you do water changes? Do you get a lot of metals in your system by using a boiler? I assume it's copper piping going to a flat plate? I also see all thread in the sump. Just curious if this is even a issue considering your massive amount of water in the system.
No. Copper does not come into contact with water. But we do plenty of water changes. Like 2 to 4 k gallons per week.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back