Introducing the AI Hydra HD Series LED lights

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
PAR meters are great for measuring light spectrum between 450nm and 650mn. However, they will under measure light intensity in the blue spectrum and over measure light in the red spectrum. Two different lights both giving you PAR reading of 500 can have VERY different effects on a coral. For this reason, we have found that relying on our experience, and experience from fellow hobbyists, to be more useful than a reading from a meter.

In our experience, the Hydra 26 will provide sufficient light for a typical 2'x2'x2' aquarium housing SPS :)

I've read this many times, but why do some led fixtures have high par readings and some don't? They all use leds in the same range of spectrum.

Here is a good case in point:
Kessil is famous for this, yet others have tried using just the white leds and still get low par values. Why?

I'm sitting here watch ALL sps corals turn brown under my kessil 360we over a 17g tank. I'm highly interested in this hydra light, but need to KNOW it has enough for acroporas.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Just a bump for Marine Depot for doing a great job replying to questions here, great answers, and great customer service ( before, during, and after the sale)!!!!!:)

Thank you so much for your kind words and acknowledgement. The truth is, we feel very privileged to be able to work in an industry that combines business and pleasure. It's a real joy to be able to share our passion and help so many other hobbyists succeed. It is very rewarding work!

And not to toot our own horn or anything, but... ;)

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Some of the lighting experts can probably explain the reasons better than we can. Even with the same Cree "white" LED, one can be very different from another. When you throw in different brands of LED's, different spectrum, different wattage and different mix of LED's, it gets MUCH more complicated.

Keeping SPS corals alive in itself can be tricky. Trying to get them to color up is an art in it's own. In addition to lighting, there are lot of other factors involved, including water chemistry, tank maturity, nutrient levels, feeding, stability, the origin of the coral itself, and more. Even with our experience, we would not feel confident about being able to keep colorful SPS corals in such a small aquarium with any light source.

Our experience is that the Hydra 26 can sufficiently light a 2' x 2' x2 ' aquarium. Whether that means your SPS are going to be colorful or not, it depends on a ton of other factors. When you figure out the 'magic sauce', please share your secrets with us :D

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If the hydra 26 is a proven acropora grower, then that's enough for me.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
does the new hydra 26 requires a director or a ai controller for it to run?
can it work without? can you control the spectrum without using the directory /or ai controller , what is other way to control them?
because buying the light itself and a director or ai controller, the price is no different than the Radion.

thanks

Josh Bayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Building a 36*36*18, best solution to light tank. Lps and sps, might go sps heavy.

cvx16

View Badges
Reaction score
Oh snap! No wonder the Hydra 26s & 52s were on sale in August. I didn't realize that was a clearance sale and bought (from MarineDepot) a 26+AI controller on the last day of the sale. I held off on setting it up right away, but now have been using it for a couple weeks. Any chance I can still return it and upgrade to the 26HD? :D

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
If the hydra 26 is a proven acropora grower, then that's enough for me.

The entire AI line of products have gotten great feedback from hobbyists through the years. It is definitely one we wouldn't hesitate recommending.
does the new hydra 26 requires a director or a ai controller for it to run?
can it work without? can you control the spectrum without using the directory /or ai controller , what is other way to control them?
because buying the light itself and a director or ai controller, the price is no different than the Radion.

thanks

No additional controller is required. Just your smart phone or tablet :D

Building a 36*36*18, best solution to light tank. Lps and sps, might go sps heavy.

36 x 36 is very tricky to illuminate with LED's. Honestly, if it were our own tank, we'd probably do a 6-bulb T-5 fixture and supplement it with a couple of ReefBrite LED Strips.

Oh snap! No wonder the Hydra 26s & 52s were on sale in August. I didn't realize that was a clearance sale and bought (from MarineDepot) a 26+AI controller on the last day of the sale. I held off on setting it up right away, but now have been using it for a couple weeks. Any chance I can still return it and upgrade to the 26HD? :D

The regular/older Hydra 26's are still being offered at the discounted price and the price difference is significant. The new HD's are better, but there is definitely nothing wrong with the regulars. At the $269 price, the regular Hydra 26 is a pretty amazing value.

Unfortunately, once an item is open/used, we are unable to take it back as it cannot be resold. Thank you for your understanding.

cvx16

View Badges
Reaction score
The regular/older Hydra 26's are still being offered at the discounted price and the price difference is significant. The new HD's are better, but there is definitely nothing wrong with the regulars. At the $269 price, the regular Hydra 26 is a pretty amazing value.

Unfortunately, once an item is open/used, we are unable to take it back as it cannot be resold. Thank you for your understanding.

Yes, understand and I assumed that would be the answer, but figured I'd ask anyway. :) I'm very happy with my Hydra26+AI Controller so far.

A question I do have about the new HD lights though. They are programmable from any wifi device now. No AI controller or Director needed. With my current Hydra26, when the AI Controller loses power, the light loses track of the schedule it's on until the Controller regains power and the time is reset on the Controller.

With the new HydraHD, if I program the light with my phone, for example, and my phone loses service or is powered off, does the HydraHD retain it's schedule programs in memory and continue to operate on it's program?

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, understand and I assumed that would be the answer, but figured I'd ask anyway. :) I'm very happy with my Hydra26+AI Controller so far.

A question I do have about the new HD lights though. They are programmable from any wifi device now. No AI controller or Director needed. With my current Hydra26, when the AI Controller loses power, the light loses track of the schedule it's on until the Controller regains power and the time is reset on the Controller.

With the new HydraHD, if I program the light with my phone, for example, and my phone loses service or is powered off, does the HydraHD retain it's schedule programs in memory and continue to operate on it's program?

The programming will be saved on the light. Once programmed, you do not need to be connected.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on this light and a hanging kit.

I noticed it's still pre order. When should we expect delivery?

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for shopping with us Mattrg02! Hydra 52's are shipping this week. The 26's will be shipping mid next week.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Why does the hydra 26 HD now say it's discontinued?

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score

Asked the same got a response of they will be back up next week. Guessing this was just preorder set up and will be replaced with regular ordering. Tells me that they should be in stock.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score

Had the same question??

So are these Hydra HD, Apex ready?

Asked the same got a response of they will be back up next week. Guessing this was just preorder set up and will be replaced with regular ordering. Tells me that they should be in stock.

Sorry about that! We've got them back up now. Here's the link. Let me check on the Apex Ready portion of your question and get back to you!

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
So are these Hydra HD, Apex ready?

Reply from AI on the Hydra HD Apex Compatibility: "At this time I do not believe they are controllable via the Neptune Apex system. I am unsure if they are going to be available to or not down the road at this time."

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back