Introduction and Skimmer Question

MountainZen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owe everyone on here a Thank You!!. I’ve been stalking the forum for the last six months and have learned so much about the hobby by just reading through the posts. Had a FOWLR tank in college (20 years ago). Never lost interest, just didn't have the time. Thankfully, time is on my side now.

Have a 150gallon DT with sump and additional 55 gallon with half refuge and half additional LR. Live in a rural area, LFS had some Eshopps branded equipment and I felt that I should support local business so I bought a RS-300 sump and S-200 skimmer.

My concern is the protein skimmer. It has been running for about a week. It is producing a crazy amount of micro-bubbles. The water line is about 8 inches (recs are for 7-9). The skimmer is in the middle compartment of the sump and sending the bubbles to the return pump and then on to the tank. Even with the foam “bubble trap”. Anyone with experience on these skimmers. Do they take a while to calm down? Or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R AMD thanks for saying hello :) skimmers generally have a break in period when they're brand new. Best advice is to open the air valve all the way and let it do its thing until it calms down. Be sure to share pictures of your setup, we love pictures;)
giphy (10).gif
#WelcometoR2R

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R :)
It's a pleasure to have you here with us ;)
I have the same exact skimmer and one of my tanks and yes it took a while to break in more than a few weeks. I have mine sitting in about 7 inches of water I had to purchase some egg crate to put underneath it to bring it up just to control the foam production in the micro bubbles. But once it does break-in in my opinion the skimmer has been solid and hasn't given me any problems I keep up with a normal regimen of cleaning it and 50% white vinegar 50% water every 3 months rinse it off cleaning good with a toothbrush and some other brushes I've picked up and it goes crazy when you put it back in for a couple of days and then it settles down again

DruidFanagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the s-120 and adv-200. I keep my water level at 8.75", it would never make enough bubbles to spill over the neck at lower water levels. I would think the higher water level also raises the micro bubble/water level in the pump chamber, allowing less bubbles to exit the skimmer.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back