Introduction and Skimmer Question

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by MountainZen, Aug 9, 2018.

1. MountainZen

MountainZen New Member

I owe everyone on here a Thank You!!. I’ve been stalking the forum for the last six months and have learned so much about the hobby by just reading through the posts. Had a FOWLR tank in college (20 years ago). Never lost interest, just didn't have the time. Thankfully, time is on my side now.

Have a 150gallon DT with sump and additional 55 gallon with half refuge and half additional LR. Live in a rural area, LFS had some Eshopps branded equipment and I felt that I should support local business so I bought a RS-300 sump and S-200 skimmer.

My concern is the protein skimmer. It has been running for about a week. It is producing a crazy amount of micro-bubbles. The water line is about 8 inches (recs are for 7-9). The skimmer is in the middle compartment of the sump and sending the bubbles to the return pump and then on to the tank. Even with the foam “bubble trap”. Anyone with experience on these skimmers. Do they take a while to calm down? Or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks.

Fudsey, Idoc and Crabs Mcjones like this.
    Tags:

2. Diesel

Diesel String Stalker. R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2018

It could be that your skimmer is still breaking in.
    Any pics?

Lovemyreef2015, Fudsey, PDR and 4 others like this.
  3. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones The Gif-A-Nator R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Welcome to R2R AMD thanks for saying hello :) skimmers generally have a break in period when they're brand new. Best advice is to open the air valve all the way and let it do its thing until it calms down. Be sure to share pictures of your setup, we love pictures;)
    giphy (10).gif #WelcometoR2R

Lovemyreef2015, Fudsey, PDR and 4 others like this.
  4. Idoc

Idoc Valuable Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R!

Lovemyreef2015, Fudsey, PDR and 2 others like this.
  5. ndrwater

ndrwater Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Welcome, and what they^^^^^^^ said about the skimmer...
    Also, keep in mind that with a new system, you may or may not be getting much skimmate anyway.......

Lovemyreef2015, Fudsey, PDR and 3 others like this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R.

7. PDR

PDR Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R!

8. Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez Reef junkie R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Hello and welcome to R2R :)
    It's a pleasure to have you here with us ;)
    I have the same exact skimmer and one of my tanks and yes it took a while to break in more than a few weeks. I have mine sitting in about 7 inches of water I had to purchase some egg crate to put underneath it to bring it up just to control the foam production in the micro bubbles. But once it does break-in in my opinion the skimmer has been solid and hasn't given me any problems I keep up with a normal regimen of cleaning it and 50% white vinegar 50% water every 3 months rinse it off cleaning good with a toothbrush and some other brushes I've picked up and it goes crazy when you put it back in for a couple of days and then it settles down again

DSC reef, Lovemyreef2015 and Fudsey like this.
  9. Fudsey

Fudsey Jack of all trades R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Welcome to R2R ! ! !

giphy (2) (1).gif

DSC reef and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  10. Chrisfish

Chrisfish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018

Welcome to R2R, nice to have you here :)

DSC reef, Lovemyreef2015 and Fudsey like this.
  11. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 I love Acans! R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365

Welcome to R2R

DSC reef and Fudsey like this.
  12. DruidFanagle

DruidFanagle Member

I have the s-120 and adv-200. I keep my water level at 8.75", it would never make enough bubbles to spill over the neck at lower water levels. I would think the higher water level also raises the micro bubble/water level in the pump chamber, allowing less bubbles to exit the skimmer.

Fudsey likes this.
  13. MountainZen

MountainZen New Member

Thanks. I'll give is some more time to break in and put some material to raise the height. I'll post some pictures of my setup soon.

Diesel and Fudsey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted