Invertebrate Food Question

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, hope everyone is having a great day. I'm kind of getting a case of cold feet on picking either a peppermint or skunk cleaner shrimp for my 20g. Will either of these eat shrimp pellets if I drop them in or should I just go ahead and stick with feeding primarily frozen food 2-3x a day as I normally feed my fish? I don't have issues feeding frozen foods but know that shrimp eat all the time. I will be getting a blue leg hermit crab but wondering if they eat any pelleted food as well just frozen/live options? I've not had either one before in marine. I have had ghost shrimp in a freshwater tank but not for long for some reason they never lasted more than a week. Any tips on feeding these combinations? Other fish will be a neon goby and clownfish pair so not too many fish I don't believe. Am I able to keep both types of shrimp together to just just pick one over the other? I've read it go both ways.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shrimps and crabs will eat pellets, but always better to mix it up and offer variety. I think it would be cool to have both in the tank, it would look great.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shrimps and crabs will eat pellets, but always better to mix it up and offer variety. I think it would be cool to have both in the tank, it would look great.
Would they be ok to add before the tank matures as long as there is food or should I wait until it matures?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank doesnt have to be mature, no. But it does have to be cycled, 0 ammonia and nitrite. Once it completes the cycle you can safely add the shrimp

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh definately, enjoy! Shrimps are great to watch!
Well, I literally just tested my tank and my ammonia is 0, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate. So, it's definitely cycled. I'm trying to get my fish all at once before I put them in or at least the invertebrates and goby. Do you think it's over doing it if I get two peppermint shrimp and skip the skunk cleaner shrimp with the hermit? Or would they more thank likely fight?

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty new to this hobby as well, but I would think that as long as you have plenty of places to hide, they should all do fine together. I also have a 20g tank, and I have a Fire shrimp and about six small hermits...they don't bother each other at all, that I have seen.

Keep in mind that hermits will need new shells as they grow. If you do not provide them, they will kill snails to take theirs.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty new to this hobby as well, but I would think that as long as you have plenty of places to hide, they should all do fine together. I also have a 20g tank, and I have a Fire shrimp and about six small hermits...they don't bother each other at all, that I have seen.

Keep in mind that hermits will need new shells as they grow. If you do not provide them, they will kill snails to take theirs.
So far they’re doing well. There’s more shells in the the tank than even they know what to do with. Lol One place sells a bag with a variety of sizes for like $2-3? They keep them mostly in stock.

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far they’re doing well. There’s more shells in the the tank than even they know what to do with. Lol One place sells a bag with a variety of sizes for like $2-3? They keep them mostly in stock.
That's great! My hermits are so fickle about their shells...they change them up quite often...lol.

Back