INVERT'ed! What's your favorite non-fishy critters?

What's your favorite type of invert? (not coral)

• Anemones

Votes: 221 29.3%
  • Crabs

Votes: 65 8.6%
  • Fan Worms

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Sea Slugs

Votes: 11 1.5%
  • Starfish

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • Shrimp

Votes: 207 27.5%
  • Snails

Votes: 46 6.1%
  • Clams

Votes: 123 16.3%
  • Other? Please say what in the thread!

Votes: 38 5.0%

• Total voters

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard for me to pick just one, but it’s probably anemones. I also love all of the microfauna and hitchhikers that come in on live rock, keeps my tanks interesting.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already voted and commented, but I remembered this little video and I am mesmerized by this guy every time in the traveling tank.

Attachments

• 20190426_130447.mp4
    17.4 MB

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know coral is technically an invert but let's leave them out of this discussion!

One of the coolest aspects to this hobby has to be those little critters we call marine inverts! Whether it be a fancy looking shrimp, a colorful starfish inching his way across the glass or an elegant fan worm dancing about in the water column, marine inverts can make for interesting additions to a saltwater reef aquarium. So let's talk about them today!

1. What is your MOST FAVORITE marine invert and why?

2. What invert would you like to add to your tank in the future?

Harlequin Shrimp perched on a coral image via @TUSI
image0020.jpg

Sexy shrimp. They're tiny and inconspicuous, but present enough movement and florescence to the tank.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my tiger pistol shrimp pair!

iliketheletterb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has to be my crabs, the hermits running around or my decorator crab beautifying herself at the expense of whatever new softie I add into the tank.

FTW-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 - Probably the anemone...cause, ya know, they're supposed to be the home for my obstinate pair of clownfish...

2 - Crocea Clam - for its beauty / small size / filtering function in my 24g nano

WizzWolfe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely my SEA HARE!! This is Pat cuddling up to her eggs resting with them after she grazed algae all night. She is so cute!! I just love her! (Or him!) Pat works so hard cleaning working graveyard all night every night eating algae. I am mad at Pat right now, for nuking my tank and this is the 2nd time. Bad Boy Pat! I think it was a little post partum action, honestly. I'm just glad to have him still alive, each day precious with my little killer friend.
FB_IMG_7403481804709668083.jpg

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cryptic Sponges, essential for reef ecosystems.

Element cycling on tropical coral reefs.
This is Jasper de Geoij's ground breaking research on reef sponges. (The introduction is in Dutch but the content is in English.)

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

Differential recycling of coral and algal dissolved organic matter via the sponge loop.
Sponges treat DOC from algae differently than DOC from corals

Surviving in a Marine Desert The Sponge Loop Retains Resources Within Coral Reefs
Dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen are quickly processed by sponges and released back into the reef food web in hours as carbon and nitrogen rich detritus.

Natural Diet of Coral-Excavating Sponges Consists Mainly of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC)

The Role of Marine Sponges in Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles of COral Reefs and Nearshore Environments.

Great information. Appreciate it!

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What is your MOST FAVORITE marine invert and why?

I’m rather partial to the strange crustaceans you sometimes find hiding in the back of pet shops. Sometimes I don’t know what they are, what they eat, etc. but I love trying and watching these creatures scuttle about and interact with their environment. My “most favorite” would probably be the hermit crab. They aren’t as bad as people make them out to be and highly entertaining with their antics. I have a large Calcinus laevimanus that gets into everything and loves to fight with the Nassarius over food. It never eats coral and us super bold.

2. What invert would you like to add to your tank in the future?

I’m looking for a Pom Pom crab, they are super cool and I’ve never seen one in person. Other than that, more RFAs and any weird critters I can find!

kcschwabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you hand feeding a stone crab????? Those things hurt if it gets ahold of you!
i hand feed my blue crabs all the time .. my biggest is about 7 1/2 inches from point to point if she really wanted to get ahold of you she could prolly break a finger. shes drawn blood a couple times but only when she was smaller ( the tiny ones have pointier pinchers ) now i think she knows im not a threat she will try to climb onto my hand as she is grabbing at her food... certainly less vicious than some of the clown fish i read about lol.. she likes to get out of her tank alot

Attachments

• IMG_3851.jpg
    IMG_3851.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 26

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back