Inverts to clean up extra food?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ordering lights as we speak. So much for putting that purchase off. ;Wacky

I did pick up some wafers to hold her over. Would the Nori sheets be better?
Either imo. You mention meaty foods uneaten, Urchin isn't going to do that for ya, thats a brittle star, Sea Cucumber, shrimp, hermit job. I would wait however a bit on all these. After another month or so IMO a brittle star is your first get. Will clean that stuff up well....about a year in Sea Cucumber.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The urchin will decide.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either imo. You mention meaty foods uneaten, Urchin isn't going to do that for ya, thats a brittle star, Sea Cucumber, shrimp, hermit job. I would wait however a bit on all these. After another month or so IMO a brittle star is your first get. Will clean that stuff up well....about a year in Sea Cucumber.
The urchin wasn't planned. I should probably accept a little shaming for the impulse-buy, but I've never been good at telling my little sister "no," and she really wanted to get it for me as a house warming gift. Such is life.
The urchin will decide.
Fair point. I'll pick some up tomorrow.

Radu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes I think the Nori sheets would be better.
Chad Vossen is breeding these urchins and I asked him what he feeds them and he said Nori.

lol at the meme if you swipe on the post.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think the Nori sheets would be better.
Chad Vossen is breeding these urchins and I asked him what he feeds them and he said Nori.

lol at the meme if you swipe on the post.

Lol, it's like Trouble With Tribbles in there.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don't have lights, and thus no algae yet, but I'm wondering about inverts that will clean up extra food off the rocks and sand. I have two nassarius snails and two tiny clownfish. I turn off all the pumps when I feed (alternating between lrs reef frenzy, frozen mussels, and frozen mysis), and when they kick back on, a bunch of uneaten food gets stirred back into the water column. I'm apparently incapable of just feeding what the fish need, and the snails aren't getting the rest.

I could get a new fish of course, but I'm suffering from some analysis paralysis and can't decide what to get next. And I'd like to get some algae grazing fish, like a yellow tang, but again, no algae yet.

I guess this is a two-part question.

1. Which of the inverts would be good at cleaning up extra meaty foods?

2. Am I as limited on what I can stock without naturally growing algae as I think I am?
My Nassarius snails instantly clean up any extra food as soon as it lands on the sand bed. They are voracious little scavengers.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nassarius snails instantly clean up any extra food as soon as it lands on the sand bed. They are voracious little scavengers.
Mine did too, for the first few days. I haven't seen them out for the last few though. Just fed this morning and no action. One has been buried in a corner for the last three days. I checked on it, still alive at least. Not sure what there problem is. Over fed and lack of competition?

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That many nassarius snails would be a bit much. However the package I recommended is not too many at all. Some are VERY tiny.
Holy cow. You weren't kidding. I'm not sure if everything in the bag was even a snail. Looked like specks of dirt. My eyes are getting to old to know for sure. Even the hermits were a lot smaller than I was expecting.

The emerald crab is super cool. It skittered off into the rocks. Hope I see it again someday. ;Wacky

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow. You weren't kidding. I'm not sure if everything in the bag was even a snail. Looked like specks of dirt. My eyes are getting to old to know for sure. Even the hermits were a lot smaller than I was expecting.

The emerald crab is super cool. It skittered off into the rocks. Hope I see it again someday. ;Wacky
Glad you like it. The small snails they always throw a bunch of extra in.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this guy for years and it's too big for my 120 -5" dimeter- but I can't bring myself to trade it in. I had to add another vegi clip, because as soon as the Nori goes in, he's on it, no matter where he is in the tank. I have 3 other urchins and they don't attack nori like this one does.
1627133068302.png

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back