Iodine for my closed zoa’s?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indicates " IMO". It is proven for many and many have different tank volumes and scenarios. I will only use Reef specific chemical (not household iodine, not bayer for dip, etc)

My statement is an opinion, but yours is proven. lol

There are many issues here.

Simplistically, whether others have seen benefits or not, anyone trying any iodine supplement should treat it as an experiment and judge whether it helps their tank, and not just dose because others do.

Second, there are different types of iodine supplements that may have effects totally unrelated to iodine itself. Folks think Lugols is just an iodine supplement, but it has I2 in it, and can impact many things unrelated to iodine. For example, it is a disinfectant and an oxidizer that might impact organic toxins and trace metal bioavailability. Other iodine supplements cannot have those effects. Some iodine supplements also contain trace elements.

So folks claiming a benefit need to be clear what was dosed and perhaps why it is useful which may not be due to iodine in it so may not extend to other iodine supplements.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 1 drop a week of pure iodine (nyos) in my 32g biocube (water volume around 26g)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 1 drop a week of pure iodine (nyos) in my 32g biocube (water volume around 26g)

what a perfect example of what I am whining about. This products name is pure iodine and you may attribute the effects to iodine, but the manufacturer says it has loads of different things, some they don’t even tell you:

• Contains iodine, fluorine, potassium, boron, molybdenum, among other things

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a perfect example of what I am whining about. This products name is pure iodine and you may attribute the effects to iodine, but the manufacturer says it has loads of different things, some they don’t even tell you:

• Contains iodine, fluorine, potassium, boron, molybdenum, among other things

I admit I didn’t read the ingredients but it did seem to help my zoas (and perhaps helped my monti heal from bleaching).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit I didn’t read the ingredients but it did seem to help my zoas (and perhaps helped my monti heal from bleaching).

if it is helpful, it’s a fine thing to use. Just don’t tell folks you are sure you are seeing a benefit of iodine dosing . :)

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas always open, multiplying and high color

zoa garden.jpg
I am jealous. Great job.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose brightwell iodine. I test about every 3 to 4 months to make sure I do not over or under dose. I am dialed in. For my system, iodine was the missing link for zoas. My tank had .01ppm or 0 when tested. Zoas, about 100 were very unhappy. It took about 6 drops to move the needle. Zoas opened like a morning flower at sunrise. Now in addition to the very small water changes (1 gallon per day), I need 2 drops a week to maintain. .06 ppm iodine. I use the red sea pro iodine test kit. It has colors at 0, .03, .06 and .09. You will get slight shade variation but close enough to keep from overdose.

Caution,One drop goes a long way ....

I use fritz salt and decided to measure iodine level with the new batch. It wa between .03 and .06 ppm. Closer to .06 ppm. So perhaps. 05 it. 06 given testing margins...

Paul W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to worry about adverse affects on anything else in your tank, ie. fish, other types of corals, inverts, etc?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back