iodine for softies

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive read a few things, and want to get everyones thoughts on this.
i have a colony of 4 polyps that just arent staying open like my other colony is. my other colony is doing very well. in fact, i have the 2 colonies very close together to ensure that they are in the same environment for the sake of making sure flow/lighting is the same between.
anywho...i just got a mg and iodine test kit. i got the iodine test kit because i have read that coral, such as zoas, do well with iodine in the water, but i also know that iodine is one of those things that you dont want to have dozed too much of because it can kill everything. the iodine test kit is a salifert test kit, which now that i used it to test, found online that there are many out there that come back with no reading, for reasons such as iodine being something that is just too difficult to test due to the rapid changing environment/usage that it goes through.

ive read that people have used small amounts of iodine in their tank when zoas have closed, and it helped them open back up. due to the danger of too much iodine, would any of you recommend dosing iodide or trace elements at all?

p.s. all of my params are good for the coral, its been checked in another thread already. im just trying to find other avenues that might help it open up.

to add, i am running carbon and phosguard in my filter. would this possibly cause it?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at dosing a small amount of Iodide. Seachem makes a good product. Iodide is not near dangerous and iodine.
Be sure you have a reliable base test so you know where to go.
You might try changing water a bit more often with a good salt mix.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at dosing a small amount of Iodide. Seachem makes a good product. Iodide is not near dangerous and iodine.
Be sure you have a reliable base test so you know where to go.
You might try changing water a bit more often with a good salt mix.
I already change water once a week as it is, so doing 2 a week just for iodine just doesn't equate to be worth it.
The seachem was the stuff that I was thinking of using. I might try it and see how it goes, but I will just be extra conservative with it

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive read a few things, and want to get everyones thoughts on this.
i have a colony of 4 polyps that just arent staying open like my other colony is. my other colony is doing very well. in fact, i have the 2 colonies very close together to ensure that they are in the same environment for the sake of making sure flow/lighting is the same between.
anywho...i just got a mg and iodine test kit. i got the iodine test kit because i have read that coral, such as zoas, do well with iodine in the water, but i also know that iodine is one of those things that you dont want to have dozed too much of because it can kill everything. the iodine test kit is a salifert test kit, which now that i used it to test, found online that there are many out there that come back with no reading, for reasons such as iodine being something that is just too difficult to test due to the rapid changing environment/usage that it goes through.

ive read that people have used small amounts of iodine in their tank when zoas have closed, and it helped them open back up. due to the danger of too much iodine, would any of you recommend dosing iodide or trace elements at all?

p.s. all of my params are good for the coral, its been checked in another thread already. im just trying to find other avenues that might help it open up.

to add, i am running carbon and phosguard in my filter. would this possibly cause it?
Do you dose a bit of live phyto? Started that regimen about a year ago and softies exploded. Not a ton of it either, just a pipette twice a week direct fed....

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to feed your softies.
Here is what I do.
Once a week I mix Phytofeast, Oysterfeast, and R.O.E. with some frozen cubes of rotifers and calanus. The tank becomes a milk green mess for a few hours. The softies love it.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i assume, since you do it, you find that not dosing it, effects your tank/notice a difference?
Hard to say, it’s a mimick from sea water and what some suggest as beneficial to the growth of leathers, Gorgonians and shrimp molt.
I have certainly run into no problems with its use.
If it’s found in the sea, good enough for me.
89FC8483-2CB5-40E6-AB54-9EB2FD2F95F2.jpeg

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to feed your softies.
Here is what I do.
Once a week I mix Phytofeast, Oysterfeast, and R.O.E. with some frozen cubes of rotifers and calanus. The tank becomes a milk green mess for a few hours. The softies love it.
Love it.... no skimmer, or mech filtration , I'm considering Oysterfeast alongside Phytofeast...should I ???? The Phyto is a non worry....

Red Leader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure if you dose iodide that you test for it. I did not and had a massive overdose in the tank. Look at my ICP result:

Screenshot_20210806-230817_Chrome.jpg

Here is what happened at those levels:
- pistol shrimp died and it's goby became so jittery that it jumped out of the tank
- berghias died
- green star polyps closed up and the mat started coming off the rock
- pulsing xenia stopped pulsing and shrunk (lol!)
- duncans partially closed
- lost a bunch of zoas - AOI, Nirvana, Pink Diamonds,
- all other zoas extended wayyy out like they were searching for light
- candy canes stopped extending polyps at night
- clove polyps died
- aiptasia disappeared (lol!)
- hair algae explosion
- cyano explosiom
- phosphates shot way up
- green dust algae everywhere and would reappear a few hours after scraping off
- unaffected: montipora, space invader pectinia, favias, rock flower anemones, hammers, gonis, all fish

It took me 2 months of changing 20% water every week to fix the iodide levels. So... yeahhh... Careful...

Last edited:
Back