ION Director unbiased review

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Darren @ Exotic Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the intentions were good on making this video however, there’s quite a bit of incorrect information, misleading and exaggerated details, many of which could’ve been resolved by reading the manual and doing more reading beforehand.

I’ll list some of examples of the incorrect and misleading details:

“Setup for the ION Director isn’t all that easy”
Why not read the manual beforehand so you know what goes where and why?
There’s a lot of valuable setup info out there and takes only a few seconds to find it online.

“And there’s a lot to get right”
Of course there is.
It’s an advanced piece of technology which gives even more reason as to why one should read the manual and resources out there. If you skim through it and assume you know what you’re doing, you’re only setting yourself up to fail.

“You need to carefully align it with some internal prongs when installing it” (IOND sensor)
A tiny detail being exaggerated and made to sound like it’s a drawback when in reality, it’s quite the opposite.
GHL included guides inside the sensor fitting to avoid users from incorrectly installing the sensor. Furthermore, if you checked out the manual or guides in their knowledge base, you’d see that there are photos which show you how it should be installed. It doesn’t get any easier than that.

“You need to be very exact in all of the values and measurements that you input after setup”
Another exaggerated detail made to sound like a drawback.
You’re dealing with a lab-grade instrument. Why wouldn’t you want to be “very exact” in its setup? Does it not benefit the user to be as exact as possible? Wouldn’t you want the device to be as exact and consistent as possible? The answer is YES to all these questions.

As hobbyists, we calibrate our dosing pump heads before setting up our dosing schedules. When we’re doing this, we want it to be as “very exact” or at least as exact as possible for accurate dosages. Why is the expectation all of a sudden different for the IOND’s dosing pump heads?

“The directions could use a revision as well as it sort of skips around a lot making it easy to miss something”
What directions were you using that skipped around a lot?
Last I checked, the steps were in order and following those worked for me and my customers. No issues there.
The setup information is out there, you just have to go to the GHL website to see it. Even the leaflet they include in the box tells you where to find the info. Furthermore, they have a very detailed step by step guide in the KB which I found to be very clear in describing the steps. Follow this and don’t deviate from it and you’ll have the unit setup and ready for testing.

“It would be really nice to just have a simple number list of steps to work through”
How much research was done before the video recording???
The simple number list you “wished” for has been in the Knowledge Base before the IOND even started shipping.
ION Director Initial Setup (Part 1) – GHL (International) (aquariumcomputer.com)

(Firmware update comment)
“Unless you’re on the latest version, you probably won’t see the required D2.1 firmware update and then it won’t recognize the IOND when you hook it all up”

Did you read the manual?

The manual tells you exactly what the minimum firmware requirements are before you even setup the device. Go ahead and ask me how I know. ;)
Psst… it’s on page 4.

Like I said before, skimming through the manual and thinking you know how to set it up is only setting yourself up for failure.

“In order to connect your IOND to a windows computer, you’ll need a USB A to A cable…these are not very common and so you may need to buy one online”
Here’s another incorrect and misleading bit of info.

I found this segment pretty confusing overall. I don’t recall you saying exactly which IOND option you purchased. Let’s assume for a moment, the viewer hears about the IOND, only knows it by name and nothing else. They see the video and from the start is fed misleading info. What if the user doesn’t know what IOND options they can choose from? Listening to this they’re left to assume that the IOND uses the USB cable, you need one for setup and that GHL does not include the necessary cable which is simply not true on all accounts.

First, you don’t connect to the IOND via USB…you connect via USB to the Doser 2.1 Standalone. Big difference here!
The IOND is just a slave device that listens to commands given by the master device (Standalone Doser or ProfiLux 3 or 4).

Second, the USB cable you need for that connection option is in the box for all D2.1 SA and IOND SA sets. No need to buy one.

Third, USB connectivity is just one of several connection options the user have to choose from, regardless if they have a Standalone Doser or ProfiLux controller. If you didn’t know GHL offers the most connectivity options out there. Whereas other just give you a web interface and cloud service, GHL gives you a dedicated mobile app (not just a web overlay), dedicated PC software, web interface and cloud service. Details like these would have painted a more clear picture for the viewer with regards to connection options.

“Hopefully you have a windows computer…I’m not sure you can fully set these up using only the GHL connect app on your phone, but it might be possible.”
Another incorrect and misleading bit of info.

Setting up a Standalone Doser or ProfiLux controller for the IOND is 100% doable through the app.
I take it you didn’t look at any of the IOND setup articles in their Knowledge Base because if you did, that comment was not have been made. Take a look for yourself and you’ll see what I mean.

“You should measure all of your cut tubing in cm”
Why? Where does it say this in the manual?
You do know you can toggle between inches and centimeters in both the app and GCC, right?

Telling everyone (including US users) they should measure in cm is misleading. It paints the wrong impression and gives US users an unnecessary step that not even GHL calls for.

(Tubing comment)
“Save yourself the hassle and measure those tubes before you install them”

More misleading info. See instructions in the KB. The user is told to measure before connecting.

“Once installed and connected, the unit is going to draw in some water for initial calibration…this takes about 12 hours”
Small detail made to sound like a “drawback”.
Both the manual and KB articles clearly tell you why there’s a wait time involved. It would’ve been great if you elaborated further here and told the audience that this step allows the sensor to stabilize in your system. You don’t have to stand around and wait those 12 hours, you can go about your day and come back later. I didn’t find this to be such a big deal as you made it out to be.

“You should use a sizable container for the IOND’s waste water as well…it’s going to quickly fill a 500ml container”
Why wasn’t the other waste water option mentioned?

Maybe it was left out by accident. It would’ve been great if you also said that users can run the waste water back into the tank thereby eliminating the need for any waste container.

There’s more that I can point out, but I’ll stop here.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Hopefully you have a windows computer…I’m not sure you can fully set these up using only the GHL connect app on your phone, but it might be possible.”

Setting up a Standalone Doser or ProfiLux controller for the IOND is 100% doable through the app.
I take it you didn’t look at any of the IOND setup articles in their Knowledge Base because if you did, that comment was not have been made. Take a look for yourself and you’ll see what I mean.

I don’t agree with you on the windows portion, as somebody who purchased the whole setup for my 300 it had to go back as upgrading the firmware requires windows. I do not have a single windows device.

GHL wanted the firmware upgraded and I’m not willing to install windows to make it work, the return was accepted due to this.

I don’t disagree with you that the equipment can be setup with a Mac or your other points.

From the manual-

GHL Control Center is compatible with WindowsVista, Windows 7, 8 and 10. There is no Mac versionavailable. The use of Windows software with “Parallels” is possible.

Last edited:

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Darren @ Exotic Reef offers very clear points, and as mentioned, there are more not worth flogging.

From my perspective, the most common reason users are challenged by the installation and configuration of GHL equipment is that they don't RTFM. GHL's written and video instructions are fantastic. Read/watch before you buy.

Setup is indeed possible via the mobile app. Although I didn't try, I'd suspect the same for the web app on any device. Firmware currently requires a Windows PC or virtual machine. To some, that feels dated but it works very well and is a reliable solution.

One more...given the precision of the gear, use a scale when calibrating the doser heads and when determining sample tube volumes.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parker seemed to have a lot of setup issues. Those wont matter to me if his next video shows good test results.

ReefJonas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the intentions were good on making this video however, there’s quite a bit of incorrect information, misleading and exaggerated details, many of which could’ve been resolved by reading the manual and doing more reading beforehand.

I’ll list some of examples of the incorrect and misleading details:

“Setup for the ION Director isn’t all that easy”
Why not read the manual beforehand so you know what goes where and why?
There’s a lot of valuable setup info out there and takes only a few seconds to find it online.

“And there’s a lot to get right”
Of course there is.
It’s an advanced piece of technology which gives even more reason as to why one should read the manual and resources out there. If you skim through it and assume you know what you’re doing, you’re only setting yourself up to fail.

“You need to carefully align it with some internal prongs when installing it” (IOND sensor)
A tiny detail being exaggerated and made to sound like it’s a drawback when in reality, it’s quite the opposite.
GHL included guides inside the sensor fitting to avoid users from incorrectly installing the sensor. Furthermore, if you checked out the manual or guides in their knowledge base, you’d see that there are photos which show you how it should be installed. It doesn’t get any easier than that.

“You need to be very exact in all of the values and measurements that you input after setup”
Another exaggerated detail made to sound like a drawback.
You’re dealing with a lab-grade instrument. Why wouldn’t you want to be “very exact” in its setup? Does it not benefit the user to be as exact as possible? Wouldn’t you want the device to be as exact and consistent as possible? The answer is YES to all these questions.

As hobbyists, we calibrate our dosing pump heads before setting up our dosing schedules. When we’re doing this, we want it to be as “very exact” or at least as exact as possible for accurate dosages. Why is the expectation all of a sudden different for the IOND’s dosing pump heads?

“The directions could use a revision as well as it sort of skips around a lot making it easy to miss something”
What directions were you using that skipped around a lot?
Last I checked, the steps were in order and following those worked for me and my customers. No issues there.
The setup information is out there, you just have to go to the GHL website to see it. Even the leaflet they include in the box tells you where to find the info. Furthermore, they have a very detailed step by step guide in the KB which I found to be very clear in describing the steps. Follow this and don’t deviate from it and you’ll have the unit setup and ready for testing.

“It would be really nice to just have a simple number list of steps to work through”
The simple number list you “wished” for has been in the Knowledge Base before the IOND even started shipping.
ION Director Initial Setup (Part 1) – GHL (International) (aquariumcomputer.com)

(Firmware update comment)
“Unless you’re on the latest version, you probably won’t see the required D2.1 firmware update and then it won’t recognize the IOND when you hook it all up”

Did you read the manual?

The manual tells you exactly what the minimum firmware requirements are before you even setup the device. Go ahead and ask me how I know. ;)
Psst… it’s on page 4.

Like I said before, skimming through the manual and thinking you know how to set it up is only setting yourself up for failure.

“In order to connect your IOND to a windows computer, you’ll need a USB A to A cable…these are not very common and so you may need to buy one online”
Here’s another incorrect and misleading bit of info.

I found this segment pretty confusing overall. I don’t recall you saying exactly which IOND option you purchased. Let’s assume for a moment, the viewer hears about the IOND, only knows it by name and nothing else. They see the video and from the start is fed misleading info. What if the user doesn’t know what IOND options they can choose from? Listening to this they’re left to assume that the IOND uses the USB cable, you need one for setup and that GHL does not include the necessary cable which is simply not true on all accounts.

First, you don’t connect to the IOND via USB…you connect via USB to the Doser 2.1 Standalone. Big difference here!
The IOND is just a slave device that listens to commands given by the master device (Standalone Doser or ProfiLux 3 or 4).

Second, the USB cable you need for that connection option is in the box for all D2.1 SA and IOND SA sets. No need to buy one.

Third, USB connectivity is just one of several connection options the user have to choose from, regardless if they have a Standalone Doser or ProfiLux controller. If you didn’t know GHL offers the most connectivity options out there. Whereas other just give you a web interface and cloud service, GHL gives you a dedicated mobile app (not just a web overlay), dedicated PC software, web interface and cloud service. Details like these would have painted a more clear picture for the viewer with regards to connection options.

“You should measure all of your cut tubing in cm”
Why? Where does it say this in the manual?
You do know you can toggle between inches and centimeters in both the app and GCC, right?

Telling everyone (including US users) they should measure in cm is misleading. It paints the wrong impression and gives US users an unnecessary step that not even GHL calls for.

(Tubing comment)
“Save yourself the hassle and measure those tubes before you install them”

More misleading info. See instructions in the KB. The user is told to measure before connecting.

“Once installed and connected, the unit is going to draw in some water for initial calibration…this takes about 12 hours”
Small detail made to sound like a “drawback”.
Both the manual and KB articles clearly tell you why there’s a wait time involved. It would’ve been great if you elaborated further here and told the audience that this step allows the sensor to stabilize in your system. You don’t have to stand around and wait those 12 hours, you can go about your day and come back later. I didn’t find this to be such a big deal as you made it out to be.

“You should use a sizable container for the IOND’s waste water as well…it’s going to quickly fill a 500ml container”
Why wasn’t the other waste water option mentioned?

Maybe it was left out by accident. It would’ve been great if you also said that users can run the waste water back into the tank thereby eliminating the need for any waste container.

There’s more that I can point out, but I’ll stop here.
A review of the review?…hmm

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Parker seemed to have a lot of setup issues. Those wont matter to me if his next video shows good test results.

He did not have good test results.

And his results are close to what I’ve heard other users are having with the product.

curious to here others in this thread experience with it.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t agree with you on the windows portion, as somebody who purchased the whole setup for my 300 it had to go back as upgrading the firmware requires windows. I do not have a single windows device.

GHL wanted the firmware upgraded and I’m not willing to install windows to make it work, the return was accepted due to this.

I don’t disagree with you that the equipment can be setup with a Mac or your other points.

From the manual-

GHL Control Center is compatible with WindowsVista, Windows 7, 8 and 10. There is no Mac versionavailable. The use of Windows software with “Parallels” is possible.
It’s funny when the 2016 Apex was released there was a firmware issue. For Neptune to remotely fix the issue I was required to furnish a Mac. I do not own a single Mac device. Took that point of sale out to the driveway and busted out my largest hammer.

Sent from my iPhone

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s funny when the 2016 Apex was released there was a firmware issue. For Neptune to remotely fix the issue I was required to furnish a Mac. I do not own a single Mac device. Took that point of sale out to the driveway and busted out my largest hammer.

Sent from my iPhone
There isn’t a scenario at all where you would need a Mac to fix or update your 2016 Apex at all. nada. I say that with 100% confidence.

If it needed some type of update or flashing of the memory then any PC would do.

The pre-2016 version needed a PC and a wired connection for firmware updates so maybe you are mixing those up?

You can use the reset button to flash the card, or they’ll tell you to send it in.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn’t a scenario at all where you would need a Mac to fix or update your 2016 Apex at all. nada. I say that with 100% confidence.

If it needed some type of update or flashing of the memory then any PC would do.

The pre-2016 version needed a PC and a wired connection for firmware updates so maybe you are mixing those up?

You can use the reset button to flash the card, or they’ll tell you to send it in.
I did have the option of sending the unit back to Neptune after the initial failed firmware update.

However, (at least at the time in 2016) you absolutely needed to have a Mac to have Neptune remotely un-brick the unit. I can say that with 110% confidence because I personally had that conversation with the Neptune tech support dude and remember having a few choice words.

Now, if your holding back some precious information you better contact the boys at Neptune tech support and let them know just how silly they are.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have the option of sending the unit back to Neptune after the initial failed firmware update.

However, (at least at the time in 2016) you absolutely needed to have a Mac to have Neptune remotely un-brick the unit. I can say that with 110% confidence because I personally had that conversation with the Neptune tech support dude and remember having a few choice words.

Now, if your holding back some precious information you better contact the boys at Neptune tech support and let them know just how silly they are.

Maybe you are mixing your threads this morning because this thread isn't about Neptune or any of their products.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just watched the follow-on to the setup video. I thought it was an honest review and helped me decide to wait for this product to get more stable before investing.

What I found even MORE interesting was GHL’s response to the video (which was pinned in the comments). Really surprised this was a company response to a customer with a following.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe you are mixing your threads this morning because this thread isn't about Neptune or any of their products

Just responding to another comment.

Let me start over - I have the option of getting an ION director at a steal from a local user. Basically, he doesn't want it - I've used GHL in the past and I am not a fan of the UX or software. But can't deny that the hardware is good.

I want to know of others outside of Youtube's experience with it. I love playing with gear and equipment and at the price I'm getting it for I feel like I can't pass this up.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start over - I have the option of getting an ION director at a steal from a local user. Basically, he doesn't want it - I've used GHL in the past and I am not a fan of the UX or software. But can't deny that the hardware is good.

I want to know of others outside of Youtube's experience with it. I love playing with gear and equipment and at the price I'm getting it for I feel like I can't pass this up.

I think this is a tough question to answer mainly due to the numbers in actual hobbyists hands that are not tied to any testing NDA's. While you may have an opportunity to buy one in most cases my understanding is that they are still limited in numbers working off a list. Of course I may be wrong as it isn't something I follow to be fair.

What I'm trying to say real data is going to be difficult to find for a while until the average Joe gets them up and running. If you are in the ecosystem and considering buying one I would shoot GHL a email and ask what happens if you buy it. This way you know about the warranty, if any, and probe.

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this is a tough question to answer mainly due to the numbers in actual hobbyists hands that are not tied to any testing NDA's. While you may have an opportunity to buy one in most cases my understanding is that they are still limited in numbers working off a list. Of course I may be wrong as it isn't something I follow to be fair.

What I'm trying to say real data is going to be difficult to find for a while until the average Joe gets them up and running. If you are in the ecosystem and considering buying one I would shoot GHL a email and ask what happens if you buy it. This way you know about the warranty, if any, and probe.

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head.
I appreciate the response - I’m not too worried about warranty because at the price I’m getting it for with the doser I can resell and not lose money. I’m going to take deal.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you are mixing your threads this morning because this thread isn't about Neptune or any of their products.
If you read my original post I was replying to someone that returned their GHL products because they are not compatible with MAC. I was pointing out that it’s the complete opposite with Neptune.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read my original post I was replying to someone that returned their GHL products because they are not compatible with MAC. I was pointing out that it’s the complete opposite with Neptune.

I know - it was a general reply that this thread has ZERO to do with Neptune no matter how hard hobbyist try to make it so as it relates to X, Y, or Z.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched the follow-on to the setup video. I thought it was an honest review and helped me decide to wait for this product to get more stable before investing.

What I found even MORE interesting was GHL’s response to the video (which was pinned in the comments). Really surprised this was a company response to a customer with a following.

Holly Crap!
They must have let Mathias out of his Lab :p
Now that's the guy I remember from 12 years ago, I would bet my house that the response to Parker was from him Directly. He is so lucky that it was someone like Parker who is cheerful and does not get emotional who did that review. For him to basically say it was a biased hit Job on GHL is just crazy.

Mathias if your reading this, the whole Ion Probe thing just does not seem to work. No one has gotten it to work, the other companies have given up. Your on Version 15 and still knocking your head on a brick wall.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mathias if your reading this, the whole Ion Probe thing just does not seem to work. No one has gotten it to work, the other companies have given up. Your on Version 15 and still knocking your head on a brick wall.

They are sort of committed at this point, no?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back