ION Director unbiased review

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ghl recommends as a common step in the troubleshooting documentation to use the "prepare measurement cell" function, and wait at least 6 hours.

I just did that since it can be done remotely with myGHL.

Seems like air bubbles is the bane of the IonD, and extra care needs to be taken to avoid them.

Preparing the measurement cell will flush the system, and hopefully evacuate air bubbles.

I'll see how that went tonight at my usual 8pm measurement.
Hope this resolves the issue for you!

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to do the measurement twice, but sensor health is now up to 89%, and readings are back to previous values.

Seems like GHL's troubleshooting documentation was accurate, and I'm now back on track.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity is there anyone on here who paid for it two years ago and is still waiting?

Alex Bonanno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity is there anyone on here who paid for it two years ago and is still waiting?
Yes, Paid for in June 2020. However, I’m on the edge of canceling. I got it to save time from testing every couple days but it seems to be more hassle than it’s worth from all the reviews. Also, I’m pretty disappointed in how GHL has treated their customers over the past 3 years.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, Paid for in June 2020. However, I’m on the edge of canceling. I got it to save time from testing every couple days but it seems to be more hassle than it’s worth from all the reviews. Also, I’m pretty disappointed in how GHL has treated their customers over the past 3 years.
Thanks for sharing!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting us know. I am sure there are others who don't want to lose their place in line.
Your far more patient than I am. I bailed after the third delay which must have been at least 18 months ago.

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i'm back to having sensor issues.

I used the "Prepare measurement cell" feature again, and it worked for the next test, but the test on the next day failed.

I think I have air entering the system.
I noticed that the inline filter is filled 3/4 with air, so maybe its not airtight anymore and keeps feeding air into the tubing.

On a positive note, I opened a ticket with GHL and received a reply from Vinny 24 hours later.
I had closed it myself because it seemed to work with my troubleshooting steps, but I might have to open it again since i'm still having issues.

I will try to fix this "air in the filter" issue before that though, and see if that changes something.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I used the "Prepare measurement cell" feature again, and it worked for the next test, but the test on the next day failed.

I noticed that the inline filter is filled 3/4 with air, so maybe its not airtight anymore and keeps feeding air into the tubing.

On a positive note, I opened a ticket with GHL and received a reply from Vinny 24 hours later.
I had closed it myself because it seemed to work with my troubleshooting steps, but I might have to open it again since i'm still having issues.

I will try to fix this "air in the filter" issue before that though, and see if that changes something.
Good luck with the fix and hope it’s just a short hiccup. Just in case I’m tagging @Lasse as he’s very familiar with GHL products and helps quite a few folks with GHL questions.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the fix and hope it’s just a short hiccup. Just in case I’m tagging @Lasse as he’s very familiar with GHL products and helps quite a few folks with GHL questions.
I´m sorry - I can´t help so much in this - only that you need to get the inline tube - including the filter chamber - air free. I have one at work - had problem with first sensor after around 75 measurements - the replacement sensor worked great until we get a major electrical breakdown and the whole system got down. After the breakdown - I have not be able to get any measurements from the sensor. I have not been out from work for a while but will take up this again in the fall.

Sincerely Lasse

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder who is that one person out there that setup their system and has had zero issues?
GHL must be taking a serious financial hit on this product.

Wug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, I have found the best way to get air out of filter is have the filter close to doser head and whilst running sample doser keep flicking the filter after a while no more air bubbles .
My first probe lasted aprox 12 weeks, like yourself had to prepare measurement cell to get a reading until probe failed. In the mean time I used ghl ion reference fluid only to find the results to be way out. Opened ticket with ghl , followed instructions including screen shots of voltages.They then informed me I could send the probe back to be checked under warranty. After reading the warranty I decided not to pursue as it is a get out on almost all paragraphs. I may be being unfair to ghl but they seem put all responsibility on the user and accept none themselves.
Still had bad results compared with hanna and triton icp...magnesium close but calcium way off, ion said 480 mg when in fact well over 600mg !
I found that the connection to unit for the probe sensor needed tightening, so please check this nut !
Air ingress seems to damage the probe quickly. Now on 3rd probe but now the ion is dead as the internal pipe blew off due to a slight blockage in sample pipe , don't know how this happened as it has a relatively new filter on.
Yes I opened it , because I have no faith in ghl warranties. And was surprised that there is no protection for the electronics if there is an internal pipe failure. Inside the sample pipe has a y connector that joins the waste pipe at the rear. This is what failed on mine.
Waiting to hear if they will sell me a new board, if not will try to find a good electronic repair shop.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I have found the best way to get air out of filter is have the filter close to doser head and whilst running sample doser keep flicking the filter after a while no more air bubbles .
My first probe lasted aprox 12 weeks, like yourself had to prepare measurement cell to get a reading until probe failed. In the mean time I used ghl ion reference fluid only to find the results to be way out. Opened ticket with ghl , followed instructions including screen shots of voltages.They then informed me I could send the probe back to be checked under warranty. After reading the warranty I decided not to pursue as it is a get out on almost all paragraphs. I may be being unfair to ghl but they seem put all responsibility on the user and accept none themselves.
Still had bad results compared with hanna and triton icp...magnesium close but calcium way off, ion said 480 mg when in fact well over 600mg !
I found that the connection to unit for the probe sensor needed tightening, so please check this nut !
Air ingress seems to damage the probe quickly. Now on 3rd probe but now the ion is dead as the internal pipe blew off due to a slight blockage in sample pipe , don't know how this happened as it has a relatively new filter on.
Yes I opened it , because I have no faith in ghl warranties. And was surprised that there is no protection for the electronics if there is an internal pipe failure. Inside the sample pipe has a y connector that joins the waste pipe at the rear. This is what failed on mine.
Waiting to hear if they will sell me a new board, if not will try to find a good electronic repair shop.
Hi there, not sure if you saw this link also. Matthias posted there in the last day. He stated there is a new generation of probe coming soon (months, not weeks). He mentioned still having thousands of back orders too, so not sure where that would put you in line

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here we go. IOND can't measure 600ppm Ca. IOND was designed to give the highest accuracy in normal seawater concentrations. Normal Ca is 420ppm. IOND absolute measurement limit for Ca is 315 ... 525ppm. Sorry, but IOND, as all measurement devices, must have limits, usually the highest precision is around the measurement range center.

I also highly doubt that ICP is able to measure accurately in regions around 600ppm for Ca because they are also calibrated for a usual seawater matrix.

Please see page 37 in attached IOND manual.

Attachments

• ION Director_Manual_V100_EN_2022-09-09.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 47

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here we go. IOND can't measure 600ppm Ca. IOND was designed to give the highest accuracy in normal seawater concentrations. Normal Ca is 420ppm. IOND absolute measurement limit for Ca is 315 ... 525ppm. Sorry, but IOND, as all measurement devices, must have limits, usually the highest precision is around the measurement range center.

I also highly doubt that ICP is able to measure accurately in regions around 600ppm for Ca because they are also calibrated for a usual seawater matrix.

Please see page 37 in attached IOND manual.
I’m not sure I follow this reply. The user stated that the IOND measured 480 which is in the range of the device, correct?

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I finally got to fix the issue last month.

It was really simple and took 10 seconds to fix....

I noticed that the in-line filter was 3/4 filled with air, so it turns out it was not exactly water tight, and was letting air inside ,which was making its way to the testing chamber.

I simply put the filter underwater, and I stopped having issues
I've been testing again for about a month, and it's been spot on.
Sensor health is at 94%, but it keeps changing from day to day between 94% and 100%

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a pity that this kind of Manufacturer to Consumer communication did not start happening from 18 months ago. People can be very forgiving if you keep in contact and let them know what is happening.

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a pity that this kind of Manufacturer to Consumer communication did not start happening from 18 months ago. People can be very forgiving if you keep in contact and let them know what is happening.
I agree, even a brief message just to say "nothing new to report" is better than no message at all.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back