Iron Concentrate Complex - Korallen-Zucht, good for removing Po4

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by Skibum, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Skibum

Skibum Well-Known Member

I understand that Iron citrate can be used for a Po4 remover, does anyone know if the product in the title would accomplish that? I have some, and my results after dosing with it and testing Po4 are negligible, perhaps I'm not using enough. Before I continue, I'm wondering if it's even the right type of Iron complex to accomplish that task.

Tags:

2. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

Any iron ion, if it can break free from whatever is currently holding it, can potentially precipitate in a variety of ways, including as iron phosphate. That said, I have no idea what this material is or how easily the iron can escape.

Do you know how much iron is being dosed with it?

3. Skibum

Skibum Well-Known Member

Thanks Randy. The most obvious answer is I have no idea how much iron is being dosed as the manufacturer doesn't disclose how much iron concentrate is in the product. I suppose what it comes down to is I will have to make my own. I think you have a recipe somewhere.... ;-)

4. David Cher

David Cher Well-Known Member

5. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

Here's my DIY for iron dosing using Fergon tablets from a drug store, but the amount needed to control phosphate may be substantially higher:

Take 1 tablet and dissolve in 100 mL RO/DI (overnight soak). Let the solids settle out and use the liquid. Then I dose about 1-5 mL to my 200 gallons (dose is not critical) occasionally.

One tablet is 27 mg iron, so that dose comes to about 0.3 to 1.4 mg.

Put into 200 gallons, that's about 0.4 to 1.8 ppb.

6. Skibum

Skibum Well-Known Member

Hi David,

I'm well aware of DSR, this is my poor man's attempt at it ;-). Outside of his products (located in Holland) I'm unable to source an Iron product that specifically controls po4 like his method purports. I'm not sure how much chemistry I'm willing to do here, I may just end up buying his product and having it shipped.

Draft saved Draft deleted