Is 0.7 phosphate too high/enough to start turning corals white?

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had consistently high phosphates (.5-.9 even) and my coral have looked fantastic and growing like gangbusters...

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how much for a 55 gallon tank to start slowly reducing the phosphates?
Personally I would only make 1 change at a time, every 2 weeks but if you do decide to use GFO, then....Look at the manufacturers recommendations and then start with half that amount. GO SLOWLY as it can cause trouble if you strip them back too quickly. As an aside I find Rhowaphos (sp?) gentler and a bit better results as far as the coral adapting to use. This is all just my opinion.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would only make 1 change at a time, every 2 weeks but if you do decide to use GFO, then....Look at the manufacturers recommendations and then start with half that amount. GO SLOWLY as it can cause trouble if you strip them back too quickly. As an aside I find Rhowaphos (sp?) gentler and a bit better results as far as the coral adapting to use. This is all just my opinion.
Not a bad idea I’ve dropped my lighting down . I’ll see what the corals look like in 2 weeks before I start playing with the phosphates.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is immediately taking all the white green and red out and lowering the other colors too much of a change too quick? Now I’m thinking about that.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reducing lighting can be done quickly. Changing lighting (some channels higher and some channels lower) or increasing overall lighting should be done over at least a two-week period, IMO.

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember too little lights will also cause bleaching .......loss of color if the other coral are fine just keep ur light we’re they are and move the coral down to a lower light level if you change the light lower randomly now the coral that was happy will be unhappy that’s no good

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also get ur self a decent test kit and get those parameters posted here and keep track of them weekly for now don’t do any drastic additives or try and chase numbers just let everything balance out on its own

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember too little lights will also cause bleaching .......loss of color if the other coral are fine just keep ur light we’re they are and move the coral down to a lower light level if you change the light lower randomly now the coral that was happy will be unhappy that’s no good
All my encrusters on the sand bed right now so can’t get them lower. I’ve reduced the light and I’ll have to be ever watchful.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is immediately taking all the white green and red out and lowering the other colors too much of a change too quick? Now I’m thinking about that.

A sudden drop is not as bad as a sudden rise. Personally, if everything is doing good, I would not decrease the lights. Keep the lighting the same. The more you change things the more you are going to stress everything. If you are not sure what the problem is, a water change is always handy as well as carbon or something like chemipure or purit.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sudden drop is not as bad as a sudden rise. Personally, if everything is doing good, I would not decrease the lights. Keep the lighting the same. The more you change things the more you are going to stress everything. If you are not sure what the problem is, a water change is always handy as well as carbon or something like chemipure or purit.
I watched videos from tidal gardens last night saying both favia and the burning banana corals are very sensitive to light and need to be slowly acclimated to light sooo this is prob. My issue.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is probably the most important. If the corals have been in your tank for more than a few weeks now, then more big changes will not be beneficial.

Our over-reactions probably cause more damage to our tanks than the initial issue.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched videos from tidal gardens last night saying both favia and the burning banana corals are very sensitive to light and need to be slowly acclimated to light sooo this is prob. My issue.

You can always lower them and move them up over time rather than taking the whole tank for the ride.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While no Miracles happened. The good news is I just got home from work and with the reduced lighting all my other corals are still open and happy. Hopefully the reduced light will make my encrusters happy over time.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is probably the most important. If the corals have been in your tank for more than a few weeks now, then more big changes will not be beneficial.

Our over-reactions probably cause more damage to our tanks than the initial issue.
Just got home the reduced light has not affected any of the other corals so I’m going to just focus on the lights and keep levels stable

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back