Is a 20 gallon even worth making a long term tank?

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 100% brand new to this hobby so excuse me if this is a dumb question. I recently posted about stocking for a 40 gallon I was looking at getting. However, I see the cost of a 20 gallon and its much more accessible for me rn with the space I have. My question is what can you really keep comfortably in a 20 gallon as far as full grown fish and corals? The main focus for the tank would be corals for sure so I'm fine if its only a couple fish but still. Will I have to upgrade rather quick if I only go with the 20 gallon?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I say there’s nothing wrong with small/nano tanks, that said it can be a bit harder to keep your parameters in check, and it limits your stocking options.

You mentioned price in your post. Keep in mind It’s not just the cost of the tank but the cost of more rock, more sand, more lights, bigger heater, and bigger pumps. This might not be the case in every situation, but worth considering

Nothing wrong with saving up to get exactly what you want, but a budget is a concern, the 20 gallon might be a better way to go.

Upvote 0

MiniGbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would a pair of clowns ad a yasha goby/pistol shrimp combo work for a 20 gallon? So far that's what I had planned to start with if I got the 40.
I had one or two more small fish than that in my 24 gallon, so 3 is a nice stocking size. I like a sixline pest control too.

If you can swing the 40, that just gives you more wiggle room for growth. I don’t have the time for more than one tank, so I try to plan out my tank for years in length.

Here’s what I was able to do with my tank:

Upvote 0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite tank right now is my 20g nano cube. 5 months old and counting.
2 bangai cardinals
1 6 line
2 peppermint shrimp
20+ snails
34 corals at last count

Start slow and learn how to keep a stable tank is my best advice.
20220626_174649.jpg

Upvote 0

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned, if you are already considering going larger, and you can afford it, I would do it. I am roughly 2 months into an IM 50 gallon lagoon. I like the tank, however, it feels like I still have a void to fill. Personally, I entered the hobby due to the fish and gradually worked my way into the corals. A 50 gallon all-in-one is not a suitable amount of room for many of the fish that I would like to keep. Therefore, I am 2 months into a brand new setup and already thinking about my next build. That being said, it’s all about your personal preference. One thing I have learned is that you never stop learning in this hobby and there is always some new fish, invert, coral, etc that you haven’t seen before. There are plenty of nano type fish that will be perfectly happy in a 20 gallon and if you are one to appreciate the tiny things in life ;) then you should be fine. However, from personal experience if you think you would like a larger setup, just wait a little longer and spend more upfront to get what you want. It will save you money rather than upgrading every 6 months like me:cool:
Good advice. Everyone I know in the hobby eventually chase the tank size associated with the fish they fall in love with….I’m looking at you, Tang-lovers.

Upvote 0

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my opinion. I'm a new reefer, I decided to go with a JBJ 20G Cube, reason being I didn't want to throw a lot money at a hobby I wasn't sure I was seriously going to enjoy. I did a few upgrades to the tank, made it real easy to take care of. I stay on top of water changes, keep my glass clean and everyone is happy and healthy. My tank is all natural, meaning I purchased live rock & live sand, it has it's ups and downs, but I had livestock in my tank in a couple weeks. I'm going on roughly 14 weeks and adding corals every couple weeks or so. I'm keeping colonies that'll form and grown together. It's a new and exciting experience.

Upvote 0

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got in to reefing in the 90's, my smallest of 3 tanks was a 65g. I got out of the hobby for several years, and when I got back in a few years ago, I started with an IM 30L. Granted, if the 40L was available then, I probably would've gotten it, but I'm happy with the 30L. It's an LPS and softie tank with several fish, and it's been doing really well for me for going on 2 years now.

I also have an IM 10 setup as an anemone/clown tank. It currently houses a pair of Snowflake Clowns, a Candy Stripe pistol shrimp, an anemone crab, a CuC, 8 BTAs and 2 RFAs. This tank has been up and running for a year now, and I couldn't be happier with it. I am looking to upgrade this one to something in the 20g range because I want a few more, different BTAs (and I need to clear out some of my splits).

If/when I do upgrade the anemone tank, I'll probably turn the 10 into a zoa only setup with a Clown Goby, a Springerii Damsel and a CuC.

All that being said... I don't know that I'll ever go back to a "big" tank again. Everything about the small tanks is cheaper and easier. I can do water changes with a 5g bucket. I can mix all my WC water in a 10g Brute. I can do simple dosing with a single pump (All for Reef). Instead of trying to fit all the stuff I want into a big tank, I can have smaller tanks setup for different things. It just works for me.

Upvote 0

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough that is the exact 40 I was looking at. Do you think I should go straight to that or go for the 20 to learn on?

Can a pair of fully grown clowns stay in a 20 gallon? I've seen so many conflicting points of view I don't know what to go by.
Yes

Upvote 0

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would've done this if it was out when I bought mine. I may upgrade to this next year.

As much as I'd like say a 40, the simplicity of the 20 is pleasing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back