Is a 29 gallon sump too small for a 125?

Chalfant30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 40 gallon breeder tank today and it doesn’t fit in my stand, too wide. Can I run a 29 gallon sump or is this too small? I saw an option of putting 2 sumps under the tank and joining them with a pipe/bulk head fitting. Has anyone done this? Or, does anyone see a problem with doing this? I would think Id want (2) 29 gallon tanks joined with like a 2” pipe. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 40 gallon breeder tank today and it doesn’t fit in my stand, too wide. Can I run a 29 gallon sump or is this too small? I saw an option of putting 2 sumps under the tank and joining them with a pipe/bulk head fitting. Has anyone done this? Or, does anyone see a problem with doing this? I would think Id want (2) 29 gallon tanks joined with like a 2” pipe. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think this answer depends more on what you want to put in the sump. You could always run an external skimmer, algae scrubber and/or reactors to allow yourself more water volume in the sump if you decide that's what you want.

In general though, I think that size sump is great, just depends on how you lay it out, what equipment you want and how much extra water volume you want to add.

Back