Is a 5 Gallon Tank Too Small for a Quarantine Tank?

WV Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon tank that has been cycled for 2 months now. I'm keeping it pretty simple, nothing extravagant. I have 2 clowns, a pajama cardinal, and a green chromis. I only plan on getting 2 more fish, and then I want to start getting corals. I do have a cleaner shrimp, a few snails, an emerald crab, and 3 hermits. Up to this point I haven't quarantined anything, and so far everything's going good, although I know it's risky. I've just started researching corals, and it makes me a little nervous to just stick those in the tank without going through some sort of quarantine. I'm also concerned that at some point, 1 of my little buddies may have an issue that may need to be quarantined. I don't really have a place that I could put a big tank, and was thinking about just getting a 5 gallon tank, but thought that may be just a tad small. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd prefer a 10 gallon minimum if you have the space. More space, less stress, better ammonia control etc...

starbuck88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've one it the other way round, noob here too. Quarantine all fish but not the corals.

I used Polyplaps Reef Shot for the corals and then put them straight in the tank.

We have a 20 litre tank which has really about 18 litres in it (which is circa 5 US Gallons), quarantining the small fish we have it's been excellent and no issues.

OP
OP
WV Reef

WV Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've one it the other way round, noob here too. Quarantine all fish but not the corals.

I used Polyplaps Reef Shot for the corals and then put them straight in the tank.

We have a 20 litre tank which has really about 18 litres in it (which is circa 5 US Gallons), quarantining the small fish we have it's been excellent and no issues.
Thank you. Yes, my fish are small, so I figured a 5 gal would probably be fine.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind if you do have some sort of infection in your tank, you may need to quarantine all your livestock, not just one or two fish.

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a much higher success rate when i went from 5 gallon buckets to 10 gallon tanks for Qt. I havent qted corals. I am very picky about who I buy from when it comes to corals. All my fish are qted and treated. Corals have to be qted for 76 days. Thats a long time for a delicate frag to live in sub-ideal conditions. Good for anyone who successfully qts their corals. I would love to have an established system (< 6months)for just coral qt but thats not realistic or easily doable. Remember, a coral qt has to be stable and established, but you can not have any fish in it. I roll the dice now and since my display is overstocked with coral, im not buying alot of coral at this point.

OP
OP
WV Reef

WV Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a much higher success rate when i went from 5 gallon buckets to 10 gallon tanks for Qt. I havent qted corals. I am very picky about who I buy from when it comes to corals. All my fish are qted and treated. Corals have to be qted for 76 days. Thats a long time for a delicate frag to live in sub-ideal conditions. Good for anyone who successfully qts their corals. I would love to have an established system (< 6months)for just coral qt but thats not realistic or easily doable. Remember, a coral qt has to be stable and established, but you can not have any fish in it. I roll the dice now and since my display is overstocked with coral, im not buying alot of coral at this point.
Gotcha...I have just started researching corals. So far I have only gotten as far as which ones are best for beginners. I'm not necessarily getting a qt tank for corals, as I have not gotten as far as what I need to do with corals before I add them to the tank. I want to have one for the rest of the fish I plan on getting, and to have on hand in case one of the fish falls ill. All of the fish I have are quite small and was wondering if 5 gal would be big enough. Keeping it simple.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon tank that has been cycled for 2 months now. I'm keeping it pretty simple, nothing extravagant. I have 2 clowns, a pajama cardinal, and a green chromis. I only plan on getting 2 more fish, and then I want to start getting corals. I do have a cleaner shrimp, a few snails, an emerald crab, and 3 hermits. Up to this point I haven't quarantined anything, and so far everything's going good, although I know it's risky. I've just started researching corals, and it makes me a little nervous to just stick those in the tank without going through some sort of quarantine. I'm also concerned that at some point, 1 of my little buddies may have an issue that may need to be quarantined. I don't really have a place that I could put a big tank, and was thinking about just getting a 5 gallon tank, but thought that may be just a tad small. Any thoughts? Thanks.
I think its fine if you stay with smaller fish and qt one at a time, And set up qt tank accordingly

clbom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi biglurr, do you have any online coral vendors you trust and buy from? I am thinking to get some corals for the first time and I also don’t have a quarantine system for corals.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back