Is a apex and tirdent worth the money

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends , personally it would probly make me go crazy with trying to dial in and start number chasing endlessly lol , I have an Apex called kaisa smart power strip

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get one eventually, but at current price it is certainly not worth it(for me personally). Heck thats enough to buy at least 1 or two corals for m the live sales here.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have both Apex and Trident for about five months now I am very happy with it. That said, I was waiting for the GHL ION director for over a year before I gave up. It is plan to start shipping next month however, you should take a look at that as well if you’re shopping right now

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex yes, Trident no.
I own an apex jr. and an apex EL on 2 tanks. I would not buy a trident.
If you’ve never had a trident and DOS, then you can’t really say if something is worth it or not. I have a calcium reactor and I wanna sell it to go back to using Dos. Yes, I have the apex wifi and Trident.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’ve never had a trident and DOS, then you can’t really say if something is worth it or not. I have a calcium reactor and I wanna sell it to go back to using Dos. Yes, I have the apex wifi and Trident.
LOL why cant you? I have never owned a robotic vaccum, but I know it is not worth it(to me). I would prefer to spend that money on something else and spend a few minutes vacuuming.

The answer of whether something is worthwhile is very different than whether it is a quality product or does what it says. Whether worthwhile is all about personal opinion and the value you place on the functionality of device in question.

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fair enough. I also run dosers for my tanks and have AWC set up. I just dont see the value in DOS and Trident. Maybe an Alkatronic (just because its easy to use and make your own testing reagent). 1 of my tanks is 6+ years old. I cant remember when was the last time I tested for anything (tanks are at separate locations) i dont even have tests there except the refrectometer. The other tank is 2+ years old, I still test Phosphates regularly. Thats all. Now YMMV, this was just my 2 cents.

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wondered this question myself, thanks for asking it.

It seems beneficial for larger systems and tanks. But I'm old school and have a smaller set up, but still curious about them...so following the thread!

shblink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO yes. I own two of them.

PROS: scheduled automatic water testing; knowing my tank is stable on a daily basis; watch the trends vs chasing numbers; failsafe to shut off doser/carx if Alk is too high

CONS: Don't rely solely on it. Check it against a test kit once in awhile just to be sure. Another expense with the reagents.

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL why cant you? I have never owned a robotic vaccum, but I know it is not worth it(to me). I would prefer to spend that money on something else and spend a few minutes vacuuming.

The answer of whether something is worthwhile is very different than whether it is a quality product or does what it says. Whether worthwhile is all about personal opinion and the value you place on the functionality of device in question.
You certainly can have an input. However, for me, and perhaps for a lot of people, someone’s opinion has more value if they’ve actually tested the product for a while. But ultimately, OP has to do a ton of research and consider all pros/cons.

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to get the trident, I’d suggest calibrating often and don’t expect the reagents to last as advertised. For me, it’s still worth it.

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

P.S. We love our robotic vacuum (Goovi) even our 4-yr-old! Our house is so much cleaner and he’s so easy to clean :D

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is doing just fine without them.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Apex and Trident units. The Apex replaced the Hach data loggers I was using. The Trident is in lieu of the Hach titration methods I was using. Considering the download time when using the data logger and the Hach titration methods, the Apex/Trident is a time saver for me. It's a plus that the DOS pumps add calcium and magnesium supplements. The reagents for these tests come with a calibration solution. So, if these units are in your budget, I'd get them.

LDog74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Apex (wifi), Trident & robotic vacuum & I wouldn't want to do without any of them.
I love the fact I can check my tank parameter's at anytime home or away. Based on the information I can make adjustments as needed.
It's really piece of mind for me. Heck my wife even downloaded Apex fusion on her phone because she likes to look at them as well :)

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had GHL, Mindstream etc. Have the EL and Trident now. Only you can decide what is "worth it" but for someone like me who just wants to be able to quickly reference parameters a couple of times a day it is well worth it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back