Is a consistently clean sand bed an attainable goal?

• Yes and it's not that hard

Votes: 192 36.2%
  • Yes but it takes a lot of work

Votes: 167 31.5%
  • No it's not possible

Votes: 48 9.0%
  • No it's too much work

Votes: 44 8.3%
  • Yes, but it may not be healthy for your tank

Votes: 80 15.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
fulltankshotlarge.jpg

We've all seen those magnificent reef tanks with the beautiful bright white sand that just makes the aquascape and coral pop! But attaining and keeping that beautiful look seems like an almost unattainable goal. Something to remember is that before these full tank photo shoots the owners are probably cleaning the sand to make for a better photo. One of our members even has his own "white sand method."

I don't know about you but I want it! I want white sand! But to what end?

It's a lot of work right?
You can get your tank chemistry out of whack messing around with the sand too much right?
You need a good "live crew" to help right?
You need the proper tools right?

2016-05-30 16.44.48.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with option 5.

5) Yes, but it may not be healthy for your tank.

I want my sand to look nice but I don't want it too "clean". Lots of stuff lives in that sand that can't survive if the sand is too clean. I constantly see amphipods digging down into the sand which I consider part of my CuC and a healthy treat for my fish. When I do clean my sand bed it takes a few days for the amphipod population to recover. I'll take biodiversity over shiny white.

Edit: This is what my latest FTS looked like. Had been around 3 weeks since the sand was cleaned.
DSC_0004.JPG

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going with option 5.

5) Yes, but it may not be healthy for your tank.

I want my sand to look nice but I don't want it too "clean". Lots of stuff lives in that sand that can't survive if the sand is too clean. I constantly see amphipods digging down into the sand which I consider part of my CuC and a healthy treat for my fish. When I do clean my sand bed it takes a few days for the amphipod population to recover. I'll take biodiversity over shiny white.

Added that option to the poll!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good flow combined with low but balanced No3/PO4 and proper Cal/Alk/Mag levels has always worked for me. Once you get it dialed in, the sand bed almost seems take care of itself :)

So no manual cleaning? Photos of your past tanks? :D

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a diamond goby about six weeks ago. Had maybe 1/5 of the sand in total with some cyano on it. Tank was a snowglobe for about four or five days, but my sand is pristine now. The tank looks completely different, and it's free coral food from the fish at the same time.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good flow combined with low but balanced No3/PO4 and proper Cal/Alk/Mag levels has always worked for me. Once you get it dialed in, the sand bed almost seems take care of itself :)
I think this is what's working for me too. Got my MP40s going on reef crest most of the day and running chaeto in the fuge and dosing two part. Never had any issues with the sand.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on what you mean. If that brand spanking new sand look, then you're going to be disappointed. If free of surface detritus and pest algae, then quite easy to accomplish. I don't frankly worry about detritus buildup in the sand bed, preferring an array of natural organisms to keep it under control. High flow prevents accumulation on the surface. Oh, and my chevron is constantly scraping the sand and rocks. So I voted yes/easy .....

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying...and a few weeks ago added a couple Conchs to the mix. Man are they cool to watch and they mow through it, so I am hoping that having them around and good water flow helps me to attain at the very least, something that I am not ashamed to show pics of!! Some of the pics I see on here of others tanks, and the pristine bottoms make me think...what the heck am I doing wrong!!!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no manual cleaning? Photos of your past tanks? :D
I had a 50 gallon and my current 125 that i follow this regiment with. I rarely if ever "clean" the sand bed. I do however usually keep a few conchs and the usual hermits and snails. I also do very little water change - maybe 8 gallons a month on the 125.

This is the 50 gallon from about 6 yeas ago. I even used water from the local water shop (non DI) for top off, ran this tank for about 2-3 years. Sand bed always stayed clean and bright as long as i had everything in balance.
WP_20130319_001-540x450.jpg

This is an older photo & Video of the 125 from about a year ago - this tank has been up an running around 6 yeas. however it took almost 2 years to get the tank dialed in and near autopilot
18238204_10212426426559761_5131089817283214433_o.jpg

and a closeup of the sand bed from just a few days ago. Please excuse the dirty glass, LOL. It's hard to find enough time in the day to keep it clean enough for closeup shot :p

20180610_082123.jpg

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do however usually keep a few conchs and a the usual hermits and snails.
+1 on the conchs. I feel they do a fantastic job on the sand bed and are an almost must have for larger systems!

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diamond goby takes care of about 2/3 of my Reefer 425 (90 gallon) and keeps it really clean. He doesn't venture to the far side so I still need to stir/siphon that part periodically.

Back