Is a crack in bottom black trim a concern?

glofish2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned about a crack in the corner of the black trim around the bottom of my tank? Are these structural or just for looks? No leaks detected anywhere. Anyway I can fix it or should I start looking for a new tank? I don’t want to come in to 55 gallons of water in my floor

039B973C-DDD1-4088-A0A0-70B4704BC0D1.jpeg

Ajayabb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My luck,

Ok, turn that tension screw just one more quarter turn......
U'mm, still not enough, one more quarter turn..........
Ahhh, look'n good!..........
craaaaaaaack
splaaaaash
Ha ha. I hear ya. Just throwing out some ideas

Upvote 0
OP
OP
glofish2000

glofish2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Has this tank been resealed?

Always a risk/benefit question- how much damage will be done to your home if this tank leaks and will you lose sleep worrying about it?

28B7399B-4656-4459-AC43-0F07DB5D028C.gif
It has not been resealed to my knowledge. I can’t I have the people I got it from knowing how to do that. They didn’t even know what kind of fish they had, but they may have bought it second hand also I don’t really know.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
glofish2000

glofish2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has not been resealed to my knowledge. I can’t I have the people I got it from knowing how to do that. They didn’t even know what kind of fish they had, but they may have bought it second hand also I don’t really know.
I probably won’t loose much sleep since it’s not loosing water anywhere, not even from evaporation lol

Upvote 0

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned about a crack in the corner of the black trim around the bottom of my tank? Are these structural or just for looks? No leaks detected anywhere. Anyway I can fix it or should I start looking for a new tank? I don’t want to come in to 55 gallons of water in my floor

039B973C-DDD1-4088-A0A0-70B4704BC0D1.jpeg
You can buy replacement trim at https://aquariumframeswholesale.com/. I bought upper and lower frame to replace trim on a tank. I ended up tossing the tank because the top was 18.25 inches instead of 18" and I suspected it was going to peel like a Bloomin' Onion. However, you may be able to save yours by replacing the bottom.

Welcome BTW!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
glofish2000

glofish2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you try to contact the tank manufacturer.
The plastic frame around the tops of tanks is absolutely structural, and I suspect the bottom is too.
The location of the break in the corner may not present the same risk as a break elsewhere, but probably only the manufacturer can say for sure.
I bought it second hand. No idea what brand it is
What is that trim? It looks like some kind of wood/MDF. Odd choice for an aquarium since it's going to get wet. Even if not, I'm going to assume that glass is 5/16 or less (my 55 is 7/32 with plastic trim). That likely isn't thick enough to provide sufficient safety factors we like without trim. Really surprising how much those tanks rely on a little plastic strip that ages, oxidizes and loses integrity.

Doesn't mean it will fail immediately or ever. But the safety factor is reduced with damaged trim if designed for it. Add in minor manufacturing defects, aging of silicone, bowing of glass etc and then we start losing sleep.

That said, a new tank is fine with relatively thin glass and plastic trim and I'm not inherently opposed to the design. Have had several, no failures even with old trim. They are relatively inexpensive and if manufactured correctly will last years.
it is just the typical plastic stuff as far as I can tell

Upvote 0
OP
OP
glofish2000

glofish2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL
Mine would be trying to put the band around the tank and cracking the top edge.

(Murphy's Law and our family have a thing going on. )
I can definitely see that happening to us ‍♀️ Looks like I may be getting a new tank for Christmas

Upvote 0

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am absolutely no expert, and couldn't tell you if the trim is structural or not. But, the fact that it's not only cracked, but also seems to be separating would concern me. Seems like there could be a structural issue there regardless.

Like I said, not an expert.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
glofish2000

glofish2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it second hand. No idea what brand it is

it is just the typical plastic stuff as far as I can tell
I am absolutely no expert, and couldn't tell you if the trim is structural or not. But, the fact that it's not only cracked, but also seems to be separating would concern me. Seems like there could be a structural issue there regardless.

yeah the separation part is the only reason I even noticed it. I don’t see any bowing anywhere but I am still a little bit worried. I am currently on the search for a replacement.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
glofish2000

glofish2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Upvote 0
OP
OP
glofish2000

glofish2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea if I could possibly fill it with silicone while I’m looking for another tank and watch that silicone for separation? Im kinda afraid to just leave it as is but it’s not like I can go get a new one tomorrow

Upvote 0

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea if I could possibly fill it with silicone while I’m looking for another tank and watch that silicone for separation? Im kinda afraid to just leave it as is but it’s not like I can go get a new one tomorrow
I'd really hate to give bad advice. Sure, silicone might be an indicator of further separation, it could start leaking tonight, or it may not even be an issue. I just don't know. Sorry. Maybe someone else will chime in with better advice. I personally would replace it as soon as possible.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
glofish2000

glofish2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really hate to give bad advice. Sure, silicone might be an indicator of further separation, it could start leaking tonight, or it may not even be an issue. I just don't know. Sorry. Maybe someone else will chime in with better advice. I personally would replace it as soon as possible.
I definitely intend to after posting his discussion. Just looking for a bandaid to make me feel better until I can replace it.

Upvote 0

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top plastic frame is absolutely structural. Manufacturers warn not to cut the cross members or the glass walls will bulge and eventually damage the silicone joints. As with any multi component structures, it's the sum of the pieces that make it work, not each piece individually.

I suggest talking to the manufacturer because I don't know if that holds true for the bottom where the bottom glass provides lateral strength.

Also, if you check, I think you will see that manufacturers of rimless aquariums use thicker glass or acrylic to provide more lateral strength.
You could be right but this is the bottom cover. It is either already moved so not safe or what I think happened the plastic peace is so old that it has shrunk and already not holding a thing.
I could be wrong but I think that peace has little relevance

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back