Is a Low Cost Alkalinity Only Disks Possible? "light version"

Discussion in 'MindStream' started by sonnus, Aug 29, 2015.

1. sonnus

sonnus Member

Would there be much of a cost savings to having a disk with just 4 parameters? The cost of the disk is a major hold-up for many interested and if the film cost is a significant portion of the disk then maybe a limited disk would help with the cost.

I think these params would be great on a lower cost disk:
    • pH (needed for Alk)
    • CO2 (needed for Alk)
    • Temp (needed for Alk)
    • Salinity (needed for Alk)
    How much (if any) of a cost saving would there be with this limited disk?

Even though this is essentially just 1 parameter (alkalinity) I think this is what 95% of the supporters are looking forward to. I understand that having at least 10 parameters makes justification of the cost easier but an alkalinity only disk would be great if it could be about $10-20 instead of $30-50 for the full blown disk. I am personally only buying the Mindstream for the alkalinity monitoring.

itwired likes this.
    Tags:

2. sonnus

sonnus Member

Actually this might only be 3 films since the temperature is possibly built into the monitor. Even better to cut the cost.

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Valuable Member

great idea

4. lexinverts

lexinverts Active Member

I think most people who are tracking alk would want it to measure Ca as well.

Personally, I am liking the fact that it measures Mg, but I realize that real-time monitoring of Mg is not as important as the others.

5. sonnus

sonnus Member

For me calcium just doesn't change enough for me to worry about. Also, my 2 part dosing of alkalinity and calcium has been equal so if I need to increase my alkalinity then my calcium gets increased the same.

I do agree that calcium and magnesium would be good additions but I was just curious what a bare-bones disk would cost. If it's just a few bucks cheaper then it doesn't make sense but if an alkalinity only disk was half the price (or cheaper!) that might make a lot of sense.

Sabellafella likes this.
  6. Steve Lowes

Steve Lowes Member

Sonnus:

Hear what you're saying but I do wonder if we'll all get hooked on real-time ammonia and oxygen trends also once we have access to them. Sure, I don't test NH3/NH4 today but in lieu of NO3 and PO4 I'm looking for something that will give me a heads-up on nutrient processing status of a system. May be a pipe-dream but hopefully we'll see.

7. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

Speaking of this, that is an experiment that I suggested to Mindstream as something that users might like to do with their devices.

For example, test the capacity of the system to deal with unusual ammonia levels (i.e., is there enough capacity for nitrification).

To do this, users could spike their tanks with a lowish amount of ammonia, say 0.1 or 0.05 ppm and track how long it takes to return to baseline (or half way to baseline).

That would be able to answer questions such as "Do I have enough live rock for nitrification" or can show how tweaks to the system are impacting ammonia reduction capacity.

e.g., is your macroalgae taking up a lot of ammonia directly? Take it offline for a few hours and see what happens to ammonia in the display.

Tinks like this lend themselves to geek playtime on the reef. :)

PaulKreider and Mirya like this.
  8. sonnus

sonnus Member

Yeah, I agree. I personally don't mind the cost of the disks but I know this is a big problem for a lot of people looking into the Mindstream. Given the option, I would buy a $50 full-blown disk over a $25 alkalinity only disk but if an alkalinity only disk could get more support for the Kickstarter campaign then it might be worth looking into.

9. Steve Lowes

Steve Lowes Member

Indeed - great lead into what we could start exploring. I have to believe some great discoveries and advances could be made with this mode of data generation.

Yesterday I visited 6 different client tanks that each have their own strengths and weaknesses. With a variety of system setups, age, maintenance practices, source water supplies, feeding routines, livestock (and on and on) it's difficult to correlate what works on one system to guarantee success on another. Data as I hope we could get from the MindStream would help get us closer to a quantitative evaluation that we could use to compare systems and optimize accordingly. We often refer to reef keeping as "where science meets art" but this would surely push the equilibrium towards the science and help us all in the process.

10. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Great thread!

Draft saved Draft deleted