Is a no water change tank possible with the Triton Method? | Reef FAQs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you supposed to do the tests? It may reduce water changes but at what point does the cost of the tests outweigh any benefits in not doing WCs.

Water changes on large tanks can be a real pain and quite costly unless you have a fish room behind the tank with drains and auto changer etc. I'd much rather run an ICP test every 1-2 months than change large quantities of water which is time consuming and takes the help of my wife given the location of my water storage and drains (she doesn't appreciate that).

SKEETER1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the full triton method since Jan 1st this year on my 210 mixed reef 55gal sump w/24g refuge section. (Pretty heavy fish load) i have not done any water changes my last ipc test was good need a few small adjustments..(still suggested small w/c as they always do) i will be doing a w/c this weekend only because i didn't notice my di was depleted and my top off water was not good and whatever is in my tap water that gets by when my di is depleted will grow red slime fast. I changed my carbon and added some gfo its getting better slowly but a few sps corals are not as happy and a 50g+ water change will help. I have good growth with triton and it has made me lazy as i really don't have to do much like empty the skimmer because its really doesn't do much with triton.
So far im good with it. Also my fuge was packed with only cheato the first few mo but now the grape has started to grow rapidly and take over the top of the fuge. i run two very strong grow lights and its amazing the growth in the fuge.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back