Is a Pico or Small Nano (specifically under 20 gallons) an ideal first reef tank?

Is a Pico/Nano (specifically, less than 20 gallons) an ideal first reef tank?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost a year into my first small nano tank (my 3rd reef), and I've been wondering if these picos and smaller nanos are ideal for new reefers? I'm really referring to <20 gallon tanks in particular even though I know tanks in the 20-30 range are technically nanos too.

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, the cost of operating a smaller tank is a good deal lower than a larger tank. You can get started for well under $500 and even an upgraded setup (lighting that can grow anything, good flow, better filtration, lid upgrades, etc.) can still be kept under $1k. Considering the attrition in this hobby, the lower cost is a pretty compelling factor. It's also easier to move (both physically and in terms of time/money) pico/nano equipment and accessories if you end up upgrading or leaving the hobby.

On the other hand, small nanos and picos come with some added challenges. The small water volume means changes in chemistry happen faster and are amplified. It's harder to maintain stability and prevent large, fast parameter swings. Smaller doesn't translate to easier in this case and a new reefer could benefit from a larger tank that's a bit more forgiving, even if it is a bit pricier to get started.

I think that if I were to give someone the ideal size setup to start with, it might be in the 30-40 gallon range. A 40 breeder can make for a relatively inexpensive, but impressive first tank. It's not so big that you'd need to start worrying about thousands of dollars in lighting alone or where in the house you can place it without worrying about the floors buckling. It's also not so small that accidentally leaving your ATO unplugged for two days will cause a drastic swing in salinity, etc. But I'd love to hear other thoughts and opinions (hence the poll).

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think small nano tanks make for awesome first reef tanks. Back when I first got into the hobby there was a general “don’t do that” view of small tanks for first time reefers, but I think some concerns are a little over blown and the overall benefits outweigh the downsides.

You already mentioned price, and we’re spot on. The lower price of entry for someone first venturing into the hobby is a huge benefit. As someone who has convinced several curious friends to “get into the mix,” the price of an IM Nuvo 10 with an AI Prime 16HD is significantly more approachable for a lot of people than the cost of a 100g+ setup. And I think this lower barrier of entry can help persuade curious people to actually get in to this awesome hobby.

A smaller tank is more susceptible to changes in chemistry and swings that can be problematic. This argument is often used against small nano tanks. While true, the problems with parameters and other swings that can occur in smaller tanks are also pretty easy to alleviate with a small, simple water change. That is an awesome part about small tanks because even the inexperienced reefer can mix up (or buy from LFS) a 2-3g batch of salt water for a water change that will go a long way towards fixing most issues.

And finally, I think small nano tanks make for great first tanks because, in my own experience, the attention to nuance and subtle changes to a small tank (e.g chemistry) made me learn a lot more, a lot quicker. And after a little while of tending to a small tank, the transition into the bigger setup (for me it was a jump to a 140g) incredibly smooth and easy.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Nano and I couldn't wait to ditch it.

A 20L is a great first tank IMHO
A 20L with a 10g tank made into a sump and you are doing things like the big boys with cheap tiny pumps, It's shallow so it's easy to light. T5 works perfectly.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at an LFS and I will always tell people that a 20-40 gallon tank is the easiness t to start out with. It has all the pros discussed with nano tanks (lower price, easier/faster WC, No floor or stand issues) while also being 2x to 4x the volume of a 10 gallon tank which means much more space and a fair bit more stability than a true pico. Not to mention fish choices. Newbs don’t quite understand proper fish stocking and larger nano tanks allow some leeway with that.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at an LFS and I will always tell people that a 20-40 gallon tank is the easiness t to start out with. It has all the pros discussed with nano tanks (lower price, easier/faster WC, No floor or stand issues) while also being 2x to 4x the volume of a 10 gallon tank which means much more space and a fair bit more stability than a true pico. Not to mention fish choices. Newbs don’t quite understand proper fish stocking and larger nano tanks allow some leeway with that.

Good point about the stocking choices. That’s a whole separate can of worms. My first tank (my family had tanks in the past, but this was my own to care for) was a 20g IM AIO. Great tank, nice looking, and like you said, offered some flexibility for stocking, but also flexibility in terms of space to experiment with rock work, and some room to just move things around. Super small pico tanks can be frustrating just from the cramped feeling you can run into.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put yes because I think it depends on the person. If you have done lots of research about nanos and picos it could be a fun way to start. some people just prefer smaller tanks and I don't think going larger because thats what you "should" do is ideal. I started back into the hobby with a 32 gallon for that reason. But I have to say I really love my 13.5 Gallon and how much easier it has been doing the maintenance.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And finally, I think small nano tanks make for great first tanks because, in my own experience, the attention to nuance and subtle changes to a small tank (e.g chemistry) made me learn a lot more, a lot quicker. And after a little while of tending to a small tank, the transition into the bigger setup (for me it was a jump to a 140g) incredibly smooth and easy.

This is true in a sort of trial-by-fire way. Without the relative safety blanket of more water volume, you have to really be on top of things. I've been reefing for 15 years and I'm still amazed at how quickly things change in my 13.5 gallon tank.

The livestock issue is a good point. Fish choices in particular are pretty limited with the sub-20 gallon tanks. Though that doesn't seem to stop people from adding mandarins, dwarf angels, larger wrasses, and even tangs based on some of the nano/pico Facebook groups I've joined (but it's OK, they're definitely "upgrading to a bigger tank soon").

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put yes because I think it depends on the person. If you have done lots of research about nanos and picos it could be a fun way to start. some people just prefer smaller tanks and I don't think going larger because thats what you "should" do is ideal. I started back into the hobby with a 32 gallon for that reason. But I have to say I really love my 13.5 Gallon and how much easier it has been doing the maintenance.
Agreed, it's absolutely easier. There's just more of it (for me, anyway). I don't mind though because it's so easy.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pico is good because it's so cheap that you can experiment and fail without losing too much investment.
But, Pico is terrible because corals grow fast if you are doing things right and they will EASILY outgrow the tank.

Nano tank is good balance but eventually you will outgrow the tank if you are doing things right, it's because CORALS GROW. And there is less space for CORALS to GROW in a Nano tank (under 20 gallons). Even 20 gallons is pushing it.

It all depends on how successful you are. If you fill up the tank and it all grows fast you will need more space.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pico is good because it's so cheap that you can experiment and fail without losing too much investment.

My 13.5 isn't a pico, but the experimentation piece of it was really important to me (the size for my condo was too, but I could easily accommodate a 40-60 gallon setup here). I grew up near the ocean and still spend a ton of time on the water. As long as I've had saltwater tanks, I've wanted to use sea water that I collect myself. The EVO has allowed me to do that. Not a single teaspoon of salt mix has gone into my tank, it's all natural seawater (apart from the RODI top off water) that I get from a few miles away (I'm not bold enough to get it from the harbor which I can see from my window) and it's replenished with weekly 5 gallon water changes. I wouldn't have taken the risk on a bigger tank, and it's just not practical anyway.

bladeshadow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a nano as an only tank is kind of like crossing the Atlantic in a 20 foot sailboat. Is it doable? Yep. Will you learn from it? Yep. And quick. Would be a lot safer if you had a big cruise ship following along if things get dicey though. That said, cruise ships are big expensive complicated beasts. But It's a lot harder to sink a cruise ship!

Back