Is a pistol shrimp a risk for my clown?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a 10g tank for my son, and hold some overflow corals from my main tank. Ultimately, we wanted to put a goby and pistol shrimp in the tank, but wanted to wait until it was a bit older. We got a great little skunk clown and a few snails and hermits, with the intention of adding the goby and shrimp later. Well, the clown has taken up residence under the rock in the tank. He is under there all the time, darting out for food, but ultimately living in the cave that a shrimp and goby would want to take over. So now I'm worried that if I add them, the shrimp will kill the clown.

Here's the tank when I first set it up:
1632396516658.png

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a 10g tank for my son, and hold some overflow corals from my main tank. Ultimately, we wanted to put a goby and pistol shrimp in the tank, but wanted to wait until it was a bit older. We got a great little skunk clown and a few snails and hermits, with the intention of adding the goby and shrimp later. Well, the clown has taken up residence under the rock in the tank. He is under there all the time, darting out for food, but ultimately living in the cave that a shrimp and goby would want to take over. So now I'm worried that if I add them, the shrimp will kill the clown.

1632396516658.png
I have never heard of pistol shrimps attacking fish , pistol shrimps are more of scavengers than predators .

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks with pistols (tiger and candy cane) paired with a watchman goby. IMO the shrimp are wimps. When a fish comes near, they both retreat into their hole. The gobies will stand their ground for a little bit, but if the fish is persistent, they run too. My pistols snap from inside their hole, more to keep things out.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns live with a fairly large mantis, I think you'll be fine. Fish are smart and they understand fairly quickly what to stay away from. A single hit from the pistol wont kill the fish or hurt it that badly, but it will let it know to stay away.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1632396516658.png
should be fine especially with the goby, they dig up to rocks but don't live inside overhangs, they could get crushed since your rock seems to be placed on top of the sand. also, leave some shells around the tank as the pistols like them for their burrows

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back