Is a protein skimmer necessary for my 3.3 gallon tank?

Shrimpz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really new to reefing and I have some questions wether getting a protein skimmer for my 3.3 gallon tank is worth it or not.

OP
OP
S

Shrimpz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks for the clarification! Katrina, like I said earlier, i'm new to reefing, so my tank is quite boring. All I have is a few red-legged hermits, some cerith snails, and a peppermint shrimp. Pics would not be too enjoyable ;)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, thanks for the clarification! Katrina, like I said earlier, i'm new to reefing, so my tank is quite boring. All I have is a few red-legged hermits, some cerith snails, and a peppermint shrimp. Pics would not be too enjoyable ;)
You are new! We love all tanks. None are boring!!!

OP
OP
S

Shrimpz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, but it's not the prettiest tank either, algae grows like crazy on the back wall of the tank, because I have a magnetic glass cleaner, I can't get to that back wall because of the filtration behind it. I'll show some pics later today.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Basic filter and water changes will be typical maintenance
Your at able to add mini bags of carbon or phoszorb to the filter

OP
OP
S

Shrimpz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I haven't replied in a while. I've been trying to deal with a tank emergency. I had done a water change, and when I added water to it, I forgot to mix the saltwater, so I just put in RODI water. This brought my salt levels down, then proceeded to kill my kenya tree, and has damaged my zoa frag. I really need help with recovering my zoa, it's all closed up and it has stayed that way for the past 2 days. What do I do!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Give zoa some flow and assure salinity is correct. It WILL open up. They can go dormant and open right back up

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 tanks smallest being 7 gallon and largest 24 gal none have sumps or skimmers. Just keep up on top of siphoning detritus out and blow the rocks off. I only do 10% water changes very irregularly maybe 6-8 weeks. The only worry with such a small tank is keeping up with evaporation. I have lids on the smallest 2 to keep evaporation down which helps alot. I have a diy ato on the 24 gallon though so I dont worry.
This is my sons 7 gallon.
Screenshot_20190822-101317_Gallery.jpg

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah all hammers from the same colony I've had for over 13 years. The mother colony is the one on the far right in my main tank. I bought it as a 2 head and have sold many of them. I still have about 50 heads in this tank.
Screenshot_20190816-073659_Gallery.jpg

azzubr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I haven't replied in a while. I've been trying to deal with a tank emergency. I had done a water change, and when I added water to it, I forgot to mix the saltwater, so I just put in RODI water. This brought my salt levels down, then proceeded to kill my kenya tree, and has damaged my zoa frag. I really need help with recovering my zoa, it's all closed up and it has stayed that way for the past 2 days. What do I do!
From my experience, zoas are very sensitive and close whenever I put my hands in the tank. Make sure to keep the levels in your tank stable and they should come out. They are frustrating sometimes

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant keep zoas in my sons tank they just get smaller and shrink away but grow in my other tank, I keep the temp and levels the same in both and use natural sea water on all three of my tanks. The differences are the light and flow so as they say no 2 tanks are the same.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back