Is a protein skimmer or a refugium more beneficial to a FOWLR or a tank with very few coral

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 120 gallon DT in a 160 gallon total system. I already have one fish that is 50/50 with a reef setup. So I will either be turning this upgrade into another FOWLR with quite a few fish or a build with some corals that would be limited to softies that most fish will not nibble on due to taste and etc. This brings up my question, for a FOWLR would a protein skimmer or a refugium be more beneficial?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 120 gallon DT in a 160 gallon total system. I already have one fish that is 50/50 with a reef setup. So I will either be turning this upgrade into another FOWLR with quite a few fish or a build with some corals that would be limited to softies that most fish will not nibble on due to taste and etc. This brings up my question, for a FOWLR would a protein skimmer or a refugium be more beneficial?
That is a tough one. A protein skimmer i think is critical for gas exchange. As long as you have a method of gas exchange..I think a fuge would be the way to go if it is one or the other (and I am assuming by a fuge you mean for macro algae). The macro algae will address nutrient export just as efficiently, if not more so, that the skimmer with the added benefit of the PH boost in the photo period. But if you dont have another method of gas exchange...i would say skimmer is the way to go.

OP
OP
fishski13

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a tough one. A protein skimmer i think is critical for gas exchange. As long as you have a method of gas exchange..I think a fuge would be the way to go if it is one or the other (and I am assuming by a fuge you mean for macro algae). The macro algae will address nutrient export just as efficiently, if not more so, that the skimmer with the added benefit of the PH boost in the photo period. But if you dont have another method of gas exchange...i would say skimmer is the way to go.
What are other methods of gas exchange? To my understanding, since I am doing an open top just with a net cover and will be having wave makers for surface agitation as well as a fan pointed at the water that will run part of the day, should I be fine?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are other methods of gas exchange? To my understanding, since I am doing an open top just with a net cover and will be having wave makers for surface agitation as well as a fan pointed at the water that will run part of the day, should I be fine?
Good surface agitation, an airpump and airstone are the two other common methods. I will say probably fine.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can do both !!! . If only one I would probably choose a skimmer because not only do you get the benefit of removing skim-mate but you get the oxygenation factor as well . If you add co2 scrubber to it you can also raise and stabilize ph

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what I would do. Assuming you have good aeration, start with the refugium. This can basically become a farm for your fish as you grow seaweed for them to eat. Heck, you can even grow cheap coral like xenia in a refugium to feed fish that might munch on it. If for some reason the refugium is not enough for nitrate control (assuming you have a proper light that won't fry the macroalgae and you supplement trace elements), then add a skimmer.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can do both !!! . If only one I would probably choose a skimmer because not only do you get the benefit of removing skim-mate but you get the oxygenation factor as well . If you add co2 scrubber to it you can also raise and stabilize ph
+1 on both.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back