Is a single a360x enough for a 50 gallon aquarium

frankiecruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that’s around 34 inches long 20 wide and about 1.5 feet tall, would a single Kessil A360X be enough to cover the whole tank? I have a mixed reef with my sps right at the center. Right now I am using and aquamai lrm as my only source of lighting.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that’s around 34 inches long 20 wide and about 1.5 feet tall, would a single Kessil A360X be enough to cover the whole tank? I have a mixed reef with my sps right at the center. Right now I am using and aquamai lrm as my only source of lighting.
No it wouldn't be. 24x24 is about max. I have 2 on my 90 and wish I had 4.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the ap9x would be enough though

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with that light

kutcha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hypothetically if you had that light attached to a chain that moves the light back and forth you could simulate more like a moving sun and supply ample light however most people dont have that type of lighting setup so if that light was stationary you would require two of those lights to fully cover that tank.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going by your tank dimensions, it sounds like you're using a 40-Breeder. It's a common tank size, and usually referenced as such, so that may help you find other people that have asked similar questions on lighting.

It took a bit to find solid info on that Aquamai light. Made by Hydor in Italy, so it's likely a well made light, but the outputs just aren't there. They advertise a max par of 185 in 24" of air. If this is the max expected PAR, it's simply lacking the PAR for SPS corals. Numbers will drop a fair amount in water as opposed to air. You'd be fine with lower light corals, the spectrum is right, but it's not a powerhouse by any means. I can see why you feel an upgrade is needed for a mixed reef.

Personally, I'd say a single A360X wouldn't get the coverage. Optimally you'd need two of those lights, or something with similar/equivalent output. The AP9X will get similar performance to two A360X's, but save you $50 and have one less power cord to worry about. Though you will lose the ability to adjust spacing between the lighting elements, and separate A360X's will let you tune each half of the tank differently based on how you place your corals.

You could theoretically shift your SPS and other high-light corals to one side and use the A360X, then the Aquamai on the other side covering your lower light corals. Not optimal but I know how things sometimes have to be done on a budget.

More critical, if you do get a light in the same range as the A360X, you need to make sure to acclimate properly. It's a HUGE bump in output from your current light.

OP
OP
F

frankiecruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going by your tank dimensions, it sounds like you're using a 40-Breeder. It's a common tank size, and usually referenced as such, so that may help you find other people that have asked similar questions on lighting.

It took a bit to find solid info on that Aquamai light. Made by Hydor in Italy, so it's likely a well made light, but the outputs just aren't there. They advertise a max par of 185 in 24" of air. If this is the max expected PAR, it's simply lacking the PAR for SPS corals. Numbers will drop a fair amount in water as opposed to air. You'd be fine with lower light corals, the spectrum is right, but it's not a powerhouse by any means. I can see why you feel an upgrade is needed for a mixed reef.

Personally, I'd say a single A360X wouldn't get the coverage. Optimally you'd need two of those lights, or something with similar/equivalent output. The AP9X will get similar performance to two A360X's, but save you $50 and have one less power cord to worry about. Though you will lose the ability to adjust spacing between the lighting elements, and separate A360X's will let you tune each half of the tank differently based on how you place your corals.

You could theoretically shift your SPS and other high-light corals to one side and use the A360X, then the Aquamai on the other side covering your lower light corals. Not optimal but I know how things sometimes have to be done on a budget.

More critical, if you do get a light in the same range as the A360X, you need to make sure to acclimate properly. It's a HUGE bump in output from your current light.
That’s what I was thinking of doing, keeping the light over my zoanthids and then letting the a360x cover my lps and the few lps that I have. Thanks for the comment it was pretty helpful.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back