Is a UV Sterilizer the right tool for the job? What does/doesn't it do exactly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan is back on the 5-Minute Guide videos with short, easy to digest videos on Reefing questions we all have!

Today, it's the first episode in a 5-Minute Guide to UV Sterilizers playlist we're working on...... What do things things actually do?

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I visited a “LFS” (it’s an hour and a half away) as I was gathering initial information about this hobby a few months ago. He is definitely practicing “management” of ich. He doesn’t treat the fish at all and let’s the uv and the fishes immune system handle it. At the time I was like that’s a great easy option! As I’m learning more, this is not the method I’m going to practice.

I am setting up a QT and a FOWLR for needs outside my display reef. I feel as though a lot of the issues that reef equipment is made for is to help a couple primary things. Getting through the initial years of a tank before solid stability and abundance of life; and the other being automation for hobbyists with other life responsibilities other than just the reef.

I want to create the healthiest environment for my reef and am leaning toward a solid balance between equipment and physical maintenance, all prefaced with a solid introduction of the wildlife; namely qt and holding options.

Love your videos, support and product supply!

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good germicidal UV unit may sterilize the water in the unit, it will not do much in the tank. it is all about competition. UV damages DNA and prevents reproduction. Space and nutrients not used due to the limited reproduction of threatened organisms will be quickly taken by the competitors present in the aquarium.
UV can be dangerous in the sense that if not everything is killed, pathogens will be selectively favored, which can have a major impact on the evolution of a small closed community. Some organisms are allowed to reproduce, others not, so the site and nutrients will be used by? Selective use of UV for a specific purpose is therefore not recommended. It is all or nothing.
Selective use of germicidal UV in a small community like an aquarium can be dangerous!

Last edited by a moderator:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I remember the great UV vs Ozone debates of the 90s. I remember Ozone winning out back then.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do UV sterilizes kill copepods

UV Sterilizers kill anything that goes through it. However, it needs enough energy to get the job done, Im sure copeods would be killed without much power.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I remember the great UV vs Ozone debates of the 90s. I remember Ozone winning out back then.
Also in the 90s the problems of using Ozon in a marine aquarium where known and difficult to correct. The use of UV-C does not have those side effects if used to sterilise the water. Selective use is not recomanded.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back