Is a water mixing station useful for a system based on the Triton Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide if it is worth the trouble to build a water mixing station for the system I am working on. I don't think I would be happy rolling brute cans around on a regular basis but I also don't want to waste my time on something that just collects dust sitting unused.

I was watching some of the BRS videos on the topic and their comments on the BRS160 transition got me thinking about this. Realistically, for a new system starting with the Triton method from the get go, what frequency would it be expected to need water changes? Monthly, quarterly, yearly? Assuming that minimum Triton method recommendations are met, what size changes would be typical?

Anyone running the Triton method able to share experience on the usefulness of a mixing station? And what size? i.e. 5%, 10%, 20%, 50%, 100% of system volume? Curious if it is something that would only make the initial fill simpler or it would be generally useful long term?

Norcalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first ICP test suggested 6x15% changes. Second none. I think I will still do a 10-15% change every couple months just to clean detritus cleaned up.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is. From what I have read, the very first recommendations from Triton is to do water change, whenever things go south.

Any thoughts on sizing?

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed to the Triton method when I recently rebuilt my tank after a slow crash. My first ICP showed metals and I had to do 6x15% changes. The water station I previously built made it so much easier and faster. Triton isn't a 'no water change' method, it is a structured water change method. Water changes being used as a tool to correct problems as and when necessary. I don't like the label that it has of 'no water changes'.

Size wise, I would say a minimum ability to do a 20% water change would be ideal.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will still have to do tank maintenance clean the tank bottom and rocks. A water mixing station is important for a aquarium set up. Even when you “don’t do water changes”. You still will need water when cleaning the tank. It doesn’t clean itself Trident is about maintaining stability in your trace elements based on natural sea water levels.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t clean itself

I am guessing this was meant with good intent ;P but there is certainly a difference in design for a large water mixing station and a setup for general cleaning

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my system as a whole cleaning system as I started doing trident before it was available in the US. The aquarium does not clean itself one still needs to get your sleeves wet when you have an aquarium. It does not just take care of itself.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back