Is adding a sump to the fluval 32.5 too much filtration?

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval 32.5 that I plan on completely redoing since I was unaware the stock items are not that good (this caused my tank to crash). I am wondering if I am able to add an overflow leading to a sump as a little add-on from the normal filtration. I would have it as an extended part of the tanks normal filtration, then the return pump would just go right back into the tank. I was also wondering what good
clip-on lights there are for lps and soft corals, and if the Aquatop Xyclone protein skimmer is too big for this tank if the sump is 10g. Anything helps!

The sump would have extra filter media, a protein skimmer, a refugium, and a separate compartment for an ATO.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean the stock items crashed the tank?

I am not sure how it will be plumbed, but sumps are always nice to have. As for a light, that depends on your budget and if you care about certain features.

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean the stock items crashed the tank?

I am not sure how it will be plumbed, but sumps are always nice to have. As for a light, that depends on your budget and if you care about certain features.
When I say “crashed my tank”, I mean I was unaware of how inefficient they are, so it lead to poor filtration after a couple of months, and eventually lead to water parameters getting bad fast (I did my best to stop it, but there was only so much I could do).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say “crashed my tank”, I mean I was unaware of how inefficient they are, so it lead to poor filtration after a couple of months, and eventually lead to water parameters getting bad fast (I did my best to stop it, but there was only so much I could do).

Ah ok.

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your water change schedule like and what is your stocking like?

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your water change schedule like and what is your stocking like?
I did a water change once a week and didn’t have much in the tank. I had a skunk cleaner shrimp, lawnmower Blenny, two clownfish, and 5 zebra hermit crabs. When some of the crabs died, I transitioned to 2 emerald crabs.

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just get rid of the stuff in the filter chambers and plumb to sump.
I am using the return pump section of the filter for:
- UVB light
- HOB overflow (DIY)
- additional canister filter pipes (well, I had it available, why not using ?)

also in the most external sections (the ones where the baffles are) I keep the heaters.

You can always use the filter sections for some emergency media like GFO or carbon

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back