Is adding H202 to RO water before mixing salt a viable way to increase pH?

OP
OP
DaddyFish

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The relationship is fairly simple, even though it looks like a messy mathematical equation. For water perfectly equilibrated with the air, the concentration of CO2 and carbonic acid in the water is directly related to the CO2 level in the air. Double the CO2 in the air, CO2 and carbonic acid in the water doubles. That also means the H+ approximately doubles.

Since pH is logarithmic, a doubling of H+ means a drop of about 0.30 in pH units.

So doubling of CO2 means a drop of about 0.3 pH units at equilibrium.

Going from 400 to 1200 ppm CO2 would cause a ph drop of about 0.48 pH units, or pH 8.20 to pH 7.72.
Thank you for the info!

Something that's very revealing to me is that my aeration is much better than I realized. Because pH in my tanks is reacting very quickly to CO2 changes in the surrounding airspace.

I was planning on adding a chiller to one tank this year, but now I'm thinking the more effective action could be to add particulate filtration to the cooler and much lower CO2 air pulled from the basement garage, and pipe that for aeration use above in my living space tanks. That could combat two problems at once, both heat and pH.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back