Is Algae Bad?

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is algae really that awful? I know I like having clean rocks, sand, and glass, but is it in issue if it's on the back and side of my tank? It's against the wall on two sides so I have a black background on the back and one side. So is there an issue with it being covered in algae on the back? Not hair algae, just a greenish layer. I scrub it off pretty often but what's a downside to letting it take over the glass? Doesn't algae consume excess nutrients in the water? I know the King of DIY keeps it in his 2000g because he likes it, but downsides in a reef?

No need for hate, just a question. It's all hypothetical so my tank is in no danger.

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae in itself isn't bad. It can be unsightly, but the main reason people don't like algae is that is is an indicator of nutrient rich water (nitrates & phosphates), which it needs to survive. This is similar to the idea of a fuge, where you keep tons of algae in order for it to remove nutrients from the water.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals do better in a low nutrient regime. As said above, algae indicates elevated nutrient levels.

But in a fish only system, moderate algae levels are more cosmetic than anything else. Even with sps corals, some algae is not necessarily all that bad.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back