Is alk 6.4 dhk to low for sps?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says is the alk level too low for sps. I have some stylo’s that are doing good but most of the other sps kinda don’t do much of anything and a couple have slowly perished. Since I’ve been checking with “Hanna” it’s remaind pretty much betweeen 6.3-6.8. I have a 40b with 20 sump and do 5-10 gallon water change biweekly.

Yes. I run 9.0.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being from the UK I se comments regarding Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, mostly seem to lead to issues in tank stability. I'm glad that we don't seem to have this salt very widely over here, as to me it would appear this "cheap beginner" salt would be the cause to many problems and tbh I don't know why it's still being produced or purchased... Well I guess it's a cycle of its being produce because people are buying it, I don't get why a shop worth its salt (excuse the pun) would recommend it. I know there are people that swear by it but most expert reefers may have started with it have found alternative salts and move away and when they do have higher success. While I'm not saying it's the reef crystals causing the low Alk, I'd say get something different, slowly switch over by doing smaller changes and gradually increase the amount of new water until you reach your desired or normal water change amount.
I use reef crystals and have 0 issues. The only thing I will say is the alk comes very high for most salt dates

Luna Lagoona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a smaller tank (25g) so I will be shooting for having a 9 alk but so far have been around 5.9 to 6.9 with mainly LPS that have grown to consume it before I really started testing my parameters.

I was just doing a 20% water change religiously but I didn't realize how much consumption was a factor for me.
You want to look for stability instead of chasing numbers. My 160g system run on 6.4 alk and 380 cal.
715A2608-CBC5-475C-AAAB-2335C7CB3B05.jpeg
D6B83CC3-8B18-4A81-A023-38696D76CC4C.jpeg
To be honest your post is the reason I am commenting!

I just had to say this is SUCH a nice mixed (SPS Dominant) reef! Well done!

1647627128912.png

Here's my little "Low alk" lagoon! (soon to be fixed though!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back