Is All-for-reef good for new tanks?

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the way AFR works is that it takes a few days to break down and become effective such that you wouldn't see a change after skipping a day until a few days later. Its why after starting dosing for the first time, you dont see an effect until a few days later. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
This is what I was going to say about the Alk not dropping after a dose. The alkalinity from AFR is produced after it is metabolized so you wouldn’t see a drop until another day or so after a missed dose.

As for suitability in a new tank I’ve used AFR since I first put in coral and my tank just 4 months old. All coral are growing and doing well. Only problem I’ve had was with dinos and unrelated to AFR.

Everytime I thought I had a “problem” with a coral it was back to normal in a day or so. I thought my alveopora was suddenly dying until I saw a clown eating pods off of it/around it and my hawk fish deciding to perch on it. Since both stopped it’s totally back to normal. My citrus zoas close up for a few days when producing new polyps but then open right back up.

I would verify all flow is still the same (no clogged pumps) and keep watching it. Do you have any fish that might be messing with it? No changes in light?

CactusReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the way AFR works is that it takes a few days to break down and become effective such that you wouldn't see a change after skipping a day until a few days later. Its why after starting dosing for the first time, you dont see an effect until a few days later. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct

OP
OP
R

ReefingIsMyTherapy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was going to say about the Alk not dropping after a dose. The alkalinity from AFR is produced after it is metabolized so you wouldn’t see a drop until another day or so after a missed dose.

As for suitability in a new tank I’ve used AFR since I first put in coral and my tank just 4 months old. All coral are growing and doing well. Only problem I’ve had was with dinos and unrelated to AFR.

Everytime I thought I had a “problem” with a coral it was back to normal in a day or so. I thought my alveopora was suddenly dying until I saw a clown eating pods off of it/around it and my hawk fish deciding to perch on it. Since both stopped it’s totally back to normal. My citrus zoas close up for a few days when producing new polyps but then open right back up.

I would verify all flow is still the same (no clogged pumps) and keep watching it. Do you have any fish that might be messing with it? No changes in light?
The coral got better after a couple of days, so I don't think AFR had anything to do. I think it will always be a mistery

Miguel.PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, formate takes some time to be decomposed by bacteria and to reach a balance. Better like that than having ph/alk spikes and angry coral! Hehe

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back