Is anybody running AWC via 1/4 RO Tubing?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Per subject line. Is anybody running their Automated Water Change system through 1/4" tubing typically found on RO filters.

Have you experienced any cons/issues. How much water per day/week do you change through this system?

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yes
No
8320ml/day on my larger system
4320ml/day on my qt system

Thanks for chiming in.

That's only 2 gallons per day? How big a system and what pumps.

Any issues with intake side from dirty tank water? Do you have a screen?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for chiming in.

That's only 2 gallons per day? How big a system and what pumps.

Any issues with intake side from dirty tank water? Do you have a screen?
Yes, about 2.2 gallons per day, just over 15g per week. Roughly 10% water change per week on the DT factoring in AWC efficiency losses. I could dial back the qt tank, but have found that one does far better with more of the water change than the DT.

~150g of water volume DT
~50g of water volume QT

Previously 2x DOS, now 2x GHL doser maxi w/ john guest connection mod

No intake screening, lines are still fine after over a year. I pull waste from the last baffle before my return on the DT, in the skimmer section of my QT. I add water to the top of that baffle, before the return on both tanks.

I don't have current photos of either, but made a bracket for my DT to hold the RO lines.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's equally important is making it easy to refill. I have a 50 gallon Norwesco tank and pull AWC from the bottom bulkhead. I know many people do it other ways with a RO line bulkhead put in through the top, etc.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Appreciated.

How are the GHL Maxis holding up with this task, how often do you need to replace pump's tube or heads?

Looking to see if anybody runs such setup on a larger per day/week volume.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still running a pair of dos heads on one of them. I have not changed that head in, it's probably been over 18 months of use at this point running at least a gallon per day. I only have one DOS left from the changeover, so the other maxi is running it's OEM head and has about four months of use on it so far. I do pack the heads with a good bit of molykote to keep them quiet.

If running above I'd say 4-5 gallons per day, a dual head Stenner pump will be a better investment. I'm not sure I'd use this class of doser on a much larger tank.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DOS based AWC for my two tanks - RSR 250 and RSR 525XL. I don’t run this continuously, instead I have a ~10% change every 6 weeks. I change 25 litres (6.6g) in the 250 and 50 litres (13.2g) in the 525 over a 24 hour period. The RO line run to the 250 is about 4m (13’), to the 525 it is around 14m (46’).

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a DOS based AWC for my two tanks - RSR 250 and RSR 525XL. I don’t run this continuously, instead I have a ~10% change every 6 weeks. I change 25 litres (6.6g) in the 250 and 50 litres (13.2g) in the 525 over a 24 hour period. The RO line run to the 250 is about 4m (13’), to the 525 it is around 14m (46’).

That's what I wanted to hear, large volume over long distance. Many thanks.

For the 13.2G change, how long does it take to push that volume, is the pump running continuously for 24 hours?

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I wanted to hear, large volume over long distance. Many thanks.

For the 13.2G change, how long does it take to push that volume, is the pump running continuously for 24 hours?
I have the DOS configured for a manually triggered AWC that runs over 24 hours. The DOS doesn't run continuously, it is automatically spaced out over the period. I'd say it runs less than 25% of the time in bursts of about a minute. The speed of the DOS is also automatically set - it runs faster for the big tank than it does for the small tank. I'll be doing a water change on 18 Jul so I'll try to remember to time it for you then.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I timed the DOS that was changing water in my RSR 525 on saturday and it ran for about 3 mins 15 seconds pumping water and then paused for about 20 mins. It then repeated the cycle for 24 hours to complete the 50 litre water change.

The DOS pumping speed also change with higher amounts of water changes. The other DOS changing litres on my RSR 250 also ran for similar times but at a slower rate.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I timed the DOS that was changing water in my RSR 525 on saturday and it ran for about 3 mins 15 seconds pumping water and then paused for about 20 mins. It then repeated the cycle for 24 hours to complete the 50 litre water change.

The DOS pumping speed also change with higher amounts of water changes. The other DOS changing litres on my RSR 250 also ran for similar times but at a slower rate.

Thank you.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running AWC off Neptune DOS using RODI tubing for 7 years with no issues. The lines vary in length up to 75 feet going under my house.

Currently running 2 tanks on AWC. I usually do 3-5 gallons per day. I’ve tested before with 30 gallons per day for nutrient export without issue.

I use IO salt. Only thing I have to do once every couple years is run vinegar through the lines to dissolve all the accumulated crud.

I cut the “nipple” off the stock grey connectors and screwed these into them for a nice clean and sealed install. No teflon required, seals perfectly hand tightening and then a slight turn with wrench.

John Guest part # PP450821W.

1606966907442.jpeg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back