Is anyone familiar with the Red Bandtail Waspfish?

DukeOfSavoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the wasps? After searching high and low for about two months, I finally got mine!
He's in my quarantine 10g at the moment and firmly wedged under the live rock when the lights are on. At night he moves much more, but have yet to see him feed. Tried frozen mysis after about 12hrs in the tank(with lights on) and got no response. I added three live mysis to the tank but they are untouched.
Was wondering if I put a red light on the tank, if he'd be more active than with the white light? At night I've been using a red led flashlight to see him, and it doesn't look like he can see it, or at least isn't as frightened by it.
I know folks have been suggesting ghost shrimp but they look way to big for his tiny mouth, looks like an 1/8" is about max diameter he could open. I plan on giving him more time before I panic over him not eating, this is day 3 in my tank.
He is already my favorite fish of all time, that I've had, and everyone who sees him loves him too.
IMG_7706.JPG
IMG_7709.JPG

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine fed very well from some long tongs, wiggling the mysis seemed to help him notice it more. After that I trained him to eat from a net which helped tremendously. Although I believe he was already feeding on frozen before I got him so he was eating by the end of day 1. I still miss my little Razor so much :(.

Good luck with yours, he's very cute.

PureReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5c5e490e752a097beca62b534b76257e.jpg
c6f3c5ef652c838e9598f9c9ddea9ad0.jpg
. . . . . Mine ate more pods than anything but it would take frozen mysis and brine but had to feed the tank and walk away before he would come out. Also he loved to attack River shrimp..

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to yours Saltie?

I went on a weekend vacation and while I was on my way home my sister called to tell me that he wasn't doing good and looked sick. He passed away later that night. I have yet to figure out why he died, can only speculate.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys seem to be very interesting. What size tank would be good for a pair.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking for a pair for a year, I even have a place that specializes in rare venomous fish looking. I've seen them on occasion on DD in the past, but none since I've been interested.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is the same thing. Funny I just got a trio, 1 male and 2 females, I was going to post my observations this weekend. Check back later today and Ill do my post today. The summary is they are for an advanced hobbyist and are very difficult to feed.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone knows anything about their breeding behavior? I have searched all over the place and I couldn't find anything.

I have a pair that gets along well but the female has been egg bound for months. Any information that would help her to spawn would be really helpful.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone knows anything about their breeding behavior? I have searched all over the place and I couldn't find anything.

I have a pair that gets along well but the female has been egg bound for months. Any information that would help her to spawn would be really helpful.
What makes you think she is egg-bound? She wouldn't stay that way continuously for months.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back