Is anyone familiar with the Red Bandtail Waspfish?

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great news!

This whole being a patient, responsible adult is annoying. Of course, I am already spending enough time over analyzing the weirdness of my clowns. Maybe I should avoid more stress ;)

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Thank you for your email. I do believe that is an error. We have contacted the Coral Farm, regarding this. As far as we are aware from our knowledge and research they prefer water temps 75-82. We apologize for this misinformation. I was not able to find this specimen in the divers den, to see if it was captive bred (which is not likely) that would be the only reason, I could think of that the temp would be so much lower, other than a mistake.

If this is inaccurate, we will get it corrected at once. Thank you for bringing our attention to this matter."

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good to know. Thank you!

Another one is coming up tonight. My tank ammonia is at 0.8 still so who is getting him?

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guy arrived safe & sound! Unfortunately, he also arrived in 1.029 salinity! :eek: I had my QT set at 1.025, so that was a last minute rush to get the salinity up after I'd opened the bag and checked it, and I got to about 1.028. Couldn't say what temp his shipping water was, since the bag had been floating for 15 minutes before I opened it.

He is incredibly RED! Adorable, too! So far, he's just been chilling behind a pvc pipe, except for an occasional dart out and back. I'll try feeding later in the day. Going to attempt mysis straight off. If he's willing to eat it, no need to set myself back by offering live food.

DSC_6494a.jpg

DSC_6505.jpg

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color is fantastic! What are you planning for tankmates?

After QT, he'll be going in with a forktail blenny, aurora goby, valentini puffer, and a harem of resplendent anthias. The tank is new, and I'm just beginning to stock it. Down the line, I'll be adding a few fairy wrasses, a hawkfish or two, dwarf angels, and a few other fish. Going to treat the wasp like a community fish, unless a reason pops up not to. I have another tank that houses some tiny fish like green banded gobies and clown gobies, but I think it's risky to put the wasp in there. He's a smidge larger than they are right now.

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After QT, he'll be going in with a forktail blenny, aurora goby, valentini puffer, and a harem of resplendent anthias. The tank is new, and I'm just beginning to stock it. Down the line, I'll be adding a few fairy wrasses, a hawkfish or two, dwarf angels, and a few other fish. Going to treat the wasp like a community fish, unless a reason pops up not to. I have another tank that houses some tiny fish like green banded gobies and clown gobies, but I think it's risky to put the wasp in there. He's a smidge larger than they are right now.

I'm planning a community option as well, although I am sad about giving up my shrimp goby and clown goby plans. I considered waiting on one until I had a predator tank up, but I think it would be too small and vulnerable with the other ones I have planned (even though they are all small as well).

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten fish before from DD, most around 1.026-7. This is the highest I've ever received from them. I wish they'd mark the salinity on the bag, so you could know before opening it.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten fish before from DD, most around 1.026-7. This is the highest I've ever received from them. I wish they'd mark the salinity on the bag, so you could know before opening it.
I use a tuberculin syringe with 25 gauge needle, have some packing or duct tape handy, pierce bag and draw sample, cover hole with tape. Then I can test salinity before opening the bag.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to update last night, but my little guy likes mysis! I use a pipette to feed, which I can gently suck water in and out of to make the mysis in there appear to be swimming. It only took a few minutes to get him interested last night, and he ate 1 large piece and 1 small for his first meal with me. Today, he was more interested in took 1 very large piece and several tiny ones. Very pleased! I'll try some other foods soon.

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is gorgeous!

So now that a couple of you have them, is there anything I should know before getting one? Any pros or cons?

John Stuckey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I bought the last one off of Divers Den! I purchased it on Thursday so they shipped Monday and it came Tuesday. She is not as colorful as some of the others but I think her white face is beautiful with the dark stripe coming down over her eye. She is at least 2 inches long with a large head. Reminds me of a little bulldog. I'll try to get a photo soon.

She has not eaten any mysis yet but is active and exploring the sand and rockscape. She seems to be more active these first two nights - coming out after I put the lights out. And her eyes glow like a cat so I was researching whether they are nocturnal. ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back