Is anyone using a freshwater tank for saltwater?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that. I’ll be adding a bag of carbon and a wave pump too so flow won’t be an issue. And they don’t have a 5 gallon in Waterbox and for this build I will not be spending hundreds….or at least trying not to.
I bought my fijicube 10 for less than your tank new in box on offer up... just saying... If you lived here I would give you my waterbox 16 for 40 bucks...

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked online I did high and low and nothing fit my wants.
https://offerup.com/item/detail/387dc81d-9743-354b-b5c1-49dd9e1f8093?q=waterbox This one is local to you ish $35

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
https://offerup.com/item/detail/387dc81d-9743-354b-b5c1-49dd9e1f8093?q=waterbox This one is local to you ish $35
I love how your definition of local ish is a 3 hour drive and over a hundred miles away lol!

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how your definition of local ish is a 3 hour drive and over a hundred miles away lol!
$35 bucks! Talk em down to 25...
Your from Cali... a 3 hour drive could be 10 miles... LOL
Take the dog.. there is a nature preserve nearby.... A tennis ball and some sandwiches...

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
$35 bucks! Talk em down to 25...
Your from Cali... a 3 hour drive could be 10 miles... LOL
Take the dog.. there is a nature preserve nearby.... A tennis ball and some sandwiches...
That’s true or nothing is close and you’re driving an hour to work each way.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have that same tank set up as a planted Tetra tank. My only complains with it is that the pump is extremely underpowered......not sure it would keep up with filtration for something as messy as a lobster. There also isn't a ton of room in the filter compartment. I initially had a hard time finding a heater that would fit (also on a side note, turn the pump so the intake is facing the heater otherwise it won't heat the tank).

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually have that same tank set up as a planted Tetra tank. My only complains with it is that the pump is extremely underpowered......not sure it would keep up with filtration for something as messy as a lobster. There also isn't a ton of room in the filter compartment. I initially had a hard time finding a heater that would fit (also on a side note, turn the pump so the intake is facing the heater otherwise it won't heat the tank).
I already know the heater I’m planning on getting a flat heater it should fit. What do you mean? Does it not go in the chamber?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already know the heater I’m planning on getting a flat heater it should fit. What do you mean? Does it not go in the chamber?
Yeah, exactly. I also had to get a flat heater....there isn't a lot of depth or width due to the pump and filter cartridge sitting in the chamber.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the things you have to concern yourself with is the pump, It may have a stainless shaft instead of a ceramic one. but you can take apart the pump and check
Just picked up this little guy I hope it fits!
image.jpg

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We converted my dads old 110 gal acrylic tank to salt about 10+ years ago, he's finally upgrading (new tank arrived yesterday) but that tank kicked butt for the longest time with only 2 cpr bak paks a fluval cannister filter and 2 external iwaki pumps. Anything can be a saltwater tank if you take care of it correctly.

20220114_163741.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back