Is anyone using a freshwater tank for saltwater?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used something like that for one of my first quarantine tanks; it was fine for its purpose. But that's nearly seventy bucks -- why not just get a bare 10g or 20g tank and a spare powerhead and build your own system? Or go for an Evo? The Evo gives you so much more bang for your buck, and it isn't that much more expensive than the linked tank.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used something like that for one of my first quarantine tanks; it was fine for its purpose. But that's nearly seventy bucks -- why not just get a bare 10g or 20g tank and a spare powerhead and build your own system? Or go for an Evo? The Evo gives you so much more bang for your buck, and it isn't that much more expensive than the linked tank.
I already bought it lol! It was because I wanted to set it up…it was because I went to PetSmart at 9 pm lol. I mean I could still return it. It just was a good deal for what I want to use it for.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its too late... she already has it

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya you sure can. Why can’t you it holds water… fresh or salt lol :)

I have done it before with cheap freshwater tanks. I had to block the bottom hole to get better surface skimming and added a wave maker. New light for corals if that’s in the plan.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ya you sure can. Why can’t you it holds water… fresh or salt lol :)

I have done it before with cheap freshwater tanks. I had to block the bottom hole to get better surface skimming and added a wave maker. New light for corals if that’s in the plan.
Nope no corals in this tank! I know true. And I figured because it’s only going to house a reef lobster there’s no need to spend more since a tank is a tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope no corals in this tank! I know true. And I figured because it’s only going to house a reef lobster there’s no need to spend more since a tank is a tank.

ya I mean people make reef tanks out of cookie jars, vases, and Rubbermaid tubs. Nano reef had a creative container contest and I saw some coffee pots and all sorts of oddities. If it holds water and doesn’t leach/rust, it can be a saltwater tank.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ya I mean people make reef tanks out of cookie jars, vases, and Rubbermaid tubs. Nano reef had a creative container contest and I saw some coffee pots and all sorts of oddities. If it holds water and doesn’t leach/rust, it can be a saltwater tank.
Great point! I’ve seen those. I just wonder about filtration.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is simply something that can hold some amount if water, there is no such thing as freshwater, saltwater, any kind of tank...

Its all just marketing, it is 5 pieces of glass or acryl, it can be 5 pieces of wood, concrete, ceramics.... Anything that holds water....

Differences between setups is very minimal, you can have freshwater tanks with overflow, sump, etc, same as you can have saltwater tank without any of that....

So yes as long as it holds the water....

Ceramics shaft are nice but not crucial, many many cheap pumps work for years in sw without corrosion or any problem, so......

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the things you have to concern yourself with is the pump, It may have a stainless shaft instead of a ceramic one. but you can take apart the pump and check
I took it apart and I have no idea lol. It just says made in China and I can only take the one part off to see a plastic blade. I could use another pump though. Would it rust is that the concern?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also worried about the filtration with this... I mean the tank is slick and all but maybe you should pick up a used fiji cube or waterbox. what if the pump does not have enough flow. I know by many standards the tank is super cheap.... But I wouldn’t want it to be a waste if it can not keep up with the demand. When you know there are other tanks out there that would and be less of a pain and you can put some other things in there and not worry...
2 cents worth

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am also worried about the filtration with this... I mean the tank is slick and all but maybe you should pick up a used fiji cube or waterbox. what if the pump does not have enough flow. I know by many standards the tank is super cheap.... But I wouldn’t want it to be a waste if it can not keep up with the demand. When you know there are other tanks out there that would and be less of a pain and you can put some other things in there and not worry...
2 cents worth
I understand that. I’ll be adding a bag of carbon and a wave pump too so flow won’t be an issue. And they don’t have a 5 gallon in Waterbox and for this build I will not be spending hundreds….or at least trying not to.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took it apart and I have no idea lol. It just says made in China and I can only take the one part off to see a plastic blade. I could use another pump though. Would it rust is that the concern?
Yes that would be the concern. There are different grades of stainless steel, some will rust more than others... (iron content) if you look at the end of the shaft if it is white then it is ceramic if it is metal.. But you should be able to pull out the impeller/ better be able to for cleaning

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes that would be the concern. There are different grades of stainless steel, some will rust more than others... (iron content) if you look at the end of the shaft if it is white then it is ceramic if it is metal.. But you should be able to pull out the impeller/ better be able to for cleaning
It’s definitely metal but it looked fairly sealed from what I could tell I mean they have to be electrical wiring is in them.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back