Is anyone using an automated KH monitor while dosing a calcium Formate based solution

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an interesting question. Is anyone using an automated KH monitor while dosing a calcium Formate based solution like Carbocalcium or AFR? It would be intersting to see if there is any daily KH swing with this method.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested as well.

The way GHL KH Director works is to make adjustments after each reading. With an unknown delay in the effect of a formate dose to dKH reading, controlling dosing may be difficult. Also, I believe the corals can directly consume the formate and you wouldn't see an impact on your dKH.

OP
OP
The Opinionated Reefer

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested as well.

The way GHL KH Director works is to make adjustments after each reading. With an unknown delay in the effect of a formate dose to dKH reading, controlling dosing may be difficult. Also, I believe the corals can directly consume the formate and you wouldn't see an impact on your dKH.
yes, I just mean KH monitoring not automatic dosing of it. I would like to see if it causes a totally stable KH or if it swings throughout the photoperiod.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I just mean KH monitoring not automatic dosing of it. I would like to see if it causes a totally stable KH or if it swings throughout the photoperiod.

Gotcha. I have one, but I'm not dosing calcium formate. I was thinking about using it or calcium acetate in the future.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formate doesn't carbon dose.

Why do you say that?

I agree the effect is necessarily smaller than acetate or ethanol, but formate is known to be taken up and used by bacteria and other organisms.

" In short term incubations, natural communities of Sargasso Sea microbial plankton expressed a potential for the oxidation of 14C-labeled formate, formaldehyde, methanol and TMAO that was similar to cultured SAR11 cells..."

"...and support the conclusion that C1 oxidation might be a significant conduit by which dissolved organic carbon is recycled to CO2 in the upper ocean."

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back