Is Anyone's Hanna Magnesium Checker Not Reading High?

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard about the problem of Hanna's Magnesium colorimeter reading high and recently learned that you can fill out a form on the Hanna website to get them to send out a new Reagent to correct the issue. But has anyone not had to do this and is getting similar results to other tests they do? I want to know if all the Mag checkers are reading high or if some of them are reading okay.

TonyP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never worked so I emailed Hanna Inst. This is the response I got:

"Tony,

There is a problem with the reagents for the Magnesium checker, here is a link so you can request replacement reagents.

Best regards,
Rob Silva
Technical Service Representative

I requested the new batch of reagents on July 5th and was told it will take a minimum of 8 weeks to get them.

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never worked so I emailed Hanna Inst. This is the response I got:

"Tony,

There is a problem with the reagents for the Magnesium checker, here is a link so you can request replacement reagents.

Best regards,
Rob Silva
Technical Service Representative

I requested the new batch of reagents on July 5th and was told it will take a minimum of 8 weeks to get them.
I feel bad for Hanna, I'm somewhat of an amatuer entrepenuer and from a business perspective I wonder what the depreciation of revenue per magnesium checker would be. I was thinking somewhere around $5 to $10 for every Magnesium checker. Just to reproduce and send out the reagents. Not including the ones they've thrown out if they have any integrity, or the shipping to send new ones. You would think Hanna would vehemently test and retest their products before releasing them to the public. Especially considering accuracy in the testing of Reef water chemistry can mean the difference between stability or not.

When you buy a replacement reagent, are they still selling the ones that come with the checker that read high, or are the selling the replacement reagents that they're sending out as replacements.

If they're telling TonyP and I quote "There is a problem with the reagents" then I think it's safe to say the Magnesium colorimeters are working properly, but they've somehow made a catastrophic f%#kup releasing the reagent they've distributed with the colorimeters, and are now redistributing a corrected reagent.

TonyP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel bad for Hanna, I'm somewhat of an amatuer entrepenuer and from a business perspective I wonder what the depreciation of revenue per magnesium checker would be. I was thinking somewhere around $5 to $10 for every Magnesium checker. Just to reproduce and send out the reagents. Not including the ones they've thrown out if they have any integrity, or the shipping to send new ones. You would think Hanna would vehemently test and retest their products before releasing them to the public. Especially considering accuracy in the testing of Reef water chemistry can mean the difference between stability or not.

When you buy a replacement reagent, are they still selling the ones that come with the checker that read high, or are the selling the replacement reagents that they're sending out as replacements.

If they're telling TonyP and I quote "There is a problem with the reagents" then I think it's safe to say the Magnesium colorimeters are working properly, but they've somehow made a catastrophic f%#kup releasing the reagent they've distributed with the colorimeters, and are now redistributing a corrected reagent.
Hanna told me the the checker is fine, the reagent replacements are free but you're right about the business financial losses definitely will add up. I love Hanna products, as you can see I have nearly all the Marine Checkers they make - hopefully they can made a Marine Iodine checker in the future.
20220820_105237.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back