Is buying a messy tank worth the effort?

Would you buy a messy tank? Is it worth the effort?

• Yes

Votes: 256 47.0%
  • No

Votes: 262 48.1%
  • Other (posted in thread)

Votes: 27 5.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
R

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone talk to me about the vinegar/acid wash thing. I read about this, but have no experience doing it. Not sure I want any of those products in a fish tank. Is that mandatory? I figured I would scrape the $%&#@ out of it just like my nano tank every couple of months ending up with sore hands and whatever else. That and about 1,000 water changes and let it come back to life over several months. Maybe the heavy blanket trick for a week. I suppose just like my original question I will get 1,000 different opinions.

OP
OP
R

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a decent &very basic setup, just looks like it has never been given proper maintenance by the amount of cyano bacteria in the main display. If you don’t mind getting your hands dirty & enjoy DYI projects, that setup will work & I would make a fair offer. In my opinion, that bow front glass tank with its curved stand makes it worth while. Few things I would check, is if that skimmer is functinal. It’s hard to tell in the pictures if it’s running. I would ask if it comes with the glass covers, which are not present in the pics. Another thing that must be considered, is replacing existing bulk heads. Baffles can be made out of acrylic to improve filtration. Be prepared if you consider making the purchase. I’ve been in this hobby way too long, long enough to have participated in frag swaps where fellow reefers brought their frags in coolers to parking lots & can only be viewed under natural sunlight. These were the projects that I always loved because they were the projects that taught me the most & if you’re up for the challenge, it can turn into a great reef tank. Good luck.

This is helpful. I like the "taught me the most" comment. I am looking at it like an "enjoy the journey" type of project. We will see how I feel after 6 months of epic fail!
Other things to check:
3. Does skimmer work
4. Does it come with Glass cover. Not sure that this means. Are you talking over the sump?
5. Noob question: What are bulk heads and baffles? My only experience is with my biocube that has "just worked".

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might even have some left over cash, if you go with a Visio tank.
I found a 40 gallon Visio at my lfs with a built in over flow for $150.
That left me with enough money to put towards a nice wood stand.

OP
OP
R

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The make or break for me though is the lighting. I appreciate the lighting comment earlier. However, I really don't want something sticking up that high that will disperse light all over my room. What other options are available.

OP
OP
R

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! I see you are in my neck of the woods.

Are you a member of some of the local FB groups? Some really nice tanks go on sale, or you can post a looking for post.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/338254062979515/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/478944852142473/

Also don't miss Reefworx Seattle February 23rd at the Doubletree SeaTac.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2252332375010197/

Thanks! I joined both and added the event to my calendar. I tried looking at some of the local forums, but they didn't seem all that active.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips. Making a check list of things to look for:
1. Is glass scratched. Given it doesn't appear to have ever been cleaned I am guessing no, but I will check for sure. :)
2. Look at the center brace and see if it is reinforced around the bowfront side. Not sure what I am looking for, but I will look.
I did not know how to describe the newer braces. They curve out from both sides of the center of the brace. I will draw a picture for you.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how much of two resources you have - time and money. :)

Money > Time = Not worth it
Money < Time = Worth it
Money low & Time low = Not worth it
Money high & Time high = Worth it

Last edited:

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going with other. That being, it greatly depends on the tank you’re looking at and the deal you can make on it. That being said, my current display is a used setup I bought from somebody that had it running FOWLR. It’s now been drastically changed and I love it.

Before
79465F0B-3212-4FF0-AFBF-7B60806878CD.jpeg

After
2685CFE0-40C8-4998-9ED0-8953952D3527.jpeg

08B5A45B-5DE6-4D3E-A68A-CB7E35EA6FEE.jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going with other. That being, it greatly depends on the tank you’re looking at and the deal you can make on it. That being said, my current display is a used setup I bought from somebody that had it running FOWLR. It’s now been drastically changed and I love it.

Before
79465F0B-3212-4FF0-AFBF-7B60806878CD.jpeg

After
2685CFE0-40C8-4998-9ED0-8953952D3527.jpeg

08B5A45B-5DE6-4D3E-A68A-CB7E35EA6FEE.jpeg
Looks great!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips. Making a check list of things to look for:
1. Is glass scratched. Given it doesn't appear to have ever been cleaned I am guessing no, but I will check for sure. :)
2. Look at the center brace and see if it is reinforced around the bowfront side. Not sure what I am looking for, but I will look.

2019-01-30_09-53-47 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

If you were above the tank looking down on it and into it you would see the top bracing around the perimeter. That is what I tried to draw for you. The older bracing does not have as much plastic attached to the glass but the newer style has a lot more. I hope this picture helps clear up what you need to look for in the bracing.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are glass tops made just for this tank. They help keep fish from jumping out and stop salt creep. Usually you buy plastic that has a place for the flat side of the glass to slide in so the back 2-3" is also covered. That plastic can be cut for pumps or plumbing.

Although cleaning the tank with vinegar sounds scary, once most of it is rinsed its not toxic. Bleach is toxic but is exceptionally effective against algae, although vinegar is too. Anyway bleach rinses totally clean with no residue. If you dry the tank and let sit 24 hrs, there will be no bleach left in it because it neutralizes. Do not be afraid to use either as they are safe and it will help tremendously to get rid of the algae.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good info and great thread.

When I consider a preowned I factor in the extent of scratches, silicone seals still good, and make sure copper has not been used by seeing if inverts in the tank.

I would pay no more than $150. I have bought several used tanks and do not mind cleaning and add new plumbing.

There are many deals out there. Here is one of the used I bought.

The following is a pic of an AGA 120g with stand, sump, skimmer, and Metal halide lighting with new bulbs. It came with over 100 pounds of clean LR as well and delivered to boot for $375 around 12 years ago. Not a show tank but a nice working tank.

Granted it came from a friend of mine who owned an LFS and he just used it to let already cured LR set in it. Chock full of pods and a dragonette in it was the only livestock when it was at his LFS. He sent the dragonette as well...so yes, some are worth it.

A few pics of what I got for $375 (already had the livestock in another tank. Pic of cloudiness was because the tank had been up one week and I had a lousy camera. lol

various005.jpg

100_1573.jpg

100_1570.jpg

100_1546.jpg

NeedMoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used equipment can be cleaned up and still give you plenty of life. Try to pick something up that’s running so you know everything is there and working. A box of misc equipment is usually junk that’s not working or missing parts.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with used tanks has been mixed. Most of the time, when I see complete setups for sale, the price is too high and the equipment is subpar (in my opinion). Often the equipment has not been well cared for, and needs tons of cleaning at the very least. So I generally would price a setup only on what I know I definitely can reuse. More often than not, that's only the tank itself... maybe a stand.

Long ago, as a noob, I got what I thought was a good deal on a complete 90 gallon setup. Bought it, moved everything 150 miles, and set it back up. Then, over the course of the next year, I pretty much replaced all of the equipment and plumbing. By the time I was finished, I had just the tank, stand, sump, a few pieces of rock and a couple of fish from the original setup. If I saved anything on the purchase, it was minimal at best. But the good news is that it got me into the hobby overnight. In a day I had a complete, if not optimal or great, system up and running for a very small cost. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, but I would go into it knowing that I was probably going to end up replacing almost everything.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to go with OTHER here as its truly not a yes or no situation.
Most here who say (NO) I feel is because they don't want to put out the elbow grease in to clean it up, but what would they say if the system was spotless?

Is it worth $??? to you? I would offer them $100.00 and walk away at $150.00.

The tank I am setting up is used, and around four years old. I purchased it from my LFS. They picked it up from one of their customers who for whatever reason decided to get out of the hobby.

It was beyond gross and dirty, (IMO) no livestock, or rock just an empty system, they had planned to turn it into a fresh water tank but when they moved to their new location they decided to sell it.

I am a DIY for the most part guy and hate to clean stuff, so new is always my first choice, if the good ole wallet will allow new.
In this case the good ole wallet said heck no. Ha ha ha.

Looked here and YT for cleaning and sanitizing tips. The tank had heavy deposits and slime but Bar Keepers Friend made real short work of all that. Once clean I filled with water and bleach for a week, rinsed twice then filled with water and vinegar for a week, rinsed twice and began the set up.

The stand, hood and sump well.... The stand had pine wood sides, and doors on it originally. The wood was in very poor shape, rotted, warped, cracked, and broken, so it was removed and trashed.

The sump was beyond ever looking good again, for only being four years old I was dumfounded at its overall condition, fully functional and no leaks though. Had my LFS store not helped the guy out from the start with the design and building of the sump I would never have believed it to be fours old.

I decided to leave the stand open, whereas most want to cover up the innerworkings I like that look, along with the advantage of ease of access to everything, So I had to replace the sump. My choice of water filtration and chemistry for this tank right or wrong is the Triton system, so I went with a Triton 44 sump.

150G Tank (Calculated interior dimensions = 135G)
Stand
40G sump
MP40 with the new black controller
Hamilton T5 Metal Halide hybrid, with two 250W MH and four T5's
UV sterilizer
and some misc, parts and pieces.
no return pump, or skimmer.
All for $1,500.00
Some may say way to much, others fair, others ??
For me it worked and I am happy. Happy is! after all what counts most.

Stand and hood cost $265.00 to have sandblasted and powder coated.

The pics here are of the tank after I power washed and or rinsed things off, no scrubbing yet.

Dirty sump.jpg Dirty tank.jpg Dirty tank whole.jpg

When I got done cleaning, well you tell me....

Clean tank.jpg Re-finished stand and hood.jpg Ready for H2O.jpg How it will be.jpg

Current Aqua Scape well TBD.....

What do you all think?
Thanks

OP
OP
R

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2019-01-30_09-53-47 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

If you were above the tank looking down on it and into it you would see the top bracing around the perimeter. That is what I tried to draw for you. The older bracing does not have as much plastic attached to the glass but the newer style has a lot more. I hope this picture helps clear up what you need to look for in the bracing.

Thanks!!

blackgrouper79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never bought new and never will with the exception of winning the lottery. I have always helped the person I was buying from break down a working/running system. I’ve been in the hobby/industary for over 15 years now and have a good idea of what to look for and where the value is. I would make a check list of deal breakers and pros and stick to your guns when you do go check things out- do not make a impulse purchase. Also, when buying used make sure you can afford to replace things as they break so don’t break your bank on the initial purchase. The money you save when buying used can be put towards upgrading certain aspects that are must-have‘s for you making the used system your system. I personally don’t like bow front tanks I’ve owned one and will not own another- that’s just me. I just picked up a custom rimless tank, stand, sump, ASM G3 skimmer, additional skimmer, ato, ato custom acrylic reservoir, pumps, 2 old school mp 10s and a 5 gallon bucket of sand for $239. The deals are out there find something that you really like and at a price that’s right for you. Good luck.
Pass on that one imo

Script_Kitty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went for a hiocube to a 105.

I had been “frankin cubing” out my biocube for about 2 years. I knew i was going to upgrade, so i was getting things that i could move over “like a full apex controller and went trident”.

I had been using the cube to lern before going bigger, and so far it seems to be true what people say about more water makes it a lot more stable.

My advice would be to save up and get “the good stuff”. This isn’t a cheep hobby, and your going to end up spending a lot eithet way you go. So it makes sense to get “good base parts”.

As for covered versus uncovered, love having an open top over the biocube lid.

Before:
F90EFF90-0A0D-44DA-97C4-6821C5CF9986.jpeg

F2618EA8-53A3-4215-9808-166FF6F01CFA.jpeg

After:

F02E8CB1-62FA-4D50-BA54-E35FA17636DE.jpeg

510D103B-95F4-4569-A34A-534447F1B520.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back