Is buying a messy tank worth the effort?

Would you buy a messy tank? Is it worth the effort?

• Yes

Votes: 256 47.0%
  • No

Votes: 262 48.1%
  • Other (posted in thread)

Votes: 27 5.0%

• Total voters

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a 14 gal bio cube for the last 5+ years and I am thinking about making the jump to a much bigger tank. I am thinking about going used to save thousands. I found a tank that is working, but appears to be filled with slime algae and who knows what else I will find when I look in person. My question is: how much effort will I be putting in to get this thing functional. Will I be strapped with nasty diseases forever and will it be worth the "savings"? Link to tank: https://offerup.com/item/detail/564834272/ I have learned from research it is an Aqueon 72. Not sure what all was done to get to functional for salt or if the lighting will suffice. I assume it will.

Will be interesting if this tank that been for sale for over 3 months sells "all of the sudden" :)

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about 300...I would make a lower offer. Regarding work, yeah you will be putting some elbow grease in there for sure. You can acid bath the rock and I would probably replace the sand. Now that I think about it, probably keep an eye out for another sale haha. I am just thinking since I am sure you will upgrade the light and other equipment.

OP
OP
R

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure I was going to offer less. You don't get much for $200 in this hobby though. I figured with the stand, rock, pumps . . . . . . . I was good. As for lighting I have a question. I really want an enclosed system similar to my 14g bio cube. Given we watch movies in this room and I don't want a giant light hanging from the ceiling lighting up the room. However, lighting was always a struggle. I ended up doing a retrofit and ripped apart my hood to do it. However, the light ended up being overly hot and I burt a hole in the light shield. Will I end up with the same problem here? No good lighting solution?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure I was going to offer less. You don't get much for $200 in this hobby though. I figured with the stand, rock, pumps . . . . . . . I was good. As for lighting I have a question. I really want an enclosed system similar to my 14g bio cube. Given we watch movies in this room and I don't want a giant light hanging from the ceiling lighting up the room. However, lighting was always a struggle. I ended up doing a retrofit and ripped apart my hood to do it. However, the light ended up being overly hot and I burt a hole in the light shield. Will I end up with the same problem here? No good lighting solution?
I do goosenecks on Kessil 360’s if I don’t hang lights. AI and ecotech also make goosenecks.

Biocube hood type set up doesent work well. Lights need height so their colors blend better and you get better spread.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do goosenecks on Kessil 360’s if I don’t hang lights. AI and ecotech also make goosenecks.
Old pic but you get the idea
AA3EC7CE-A665-47C5-BB27-67612D879DA4.jpeg

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a decent &very basic setup, just looks like it has never been given proper maintenance by the amount of cyano bacteria in the main display. If you don’t mind getting your hands dirty & enjoy DYI projects, that setup will work & I would make a fair offer. In my opinion, that bow front glass tank with its curved stand makes it worth while. Few things I would check, is if that skimmer is functinal. It’s hard to tell in the pictures if it’s running. I would ask if it comes with the glass covers, which are not present in the pics. Another thing that must be considered, is replacing existing bulk heads. Baffles can be made out of acrylic to improve filtration. Be prepared if you consider making the purchase. I’ve been in this hobby way too long, long enough to have participated in frag swaps where fellow reefers brought their frags in coolers to parking lots & can only be viewed under natural sunlight. These were the projects that I always loved because they were the projects that taught me the most & if you’re up for the challenge, it can turn into a great reef tank. Good luck.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's your first big tank I'd go with a new tank, that way you don't have to redo plumbing that has already been done. Start from scratch (with a tank that 100% is not scratched) ect. The tank may be an okay deal but it looks like it's a real mess, and no guarantee it will clean up to like new condition. You can certainly piece together a used system, but getting everything in one shot like this does not seem ideal for someone in your situation at least in my opinion.

Stephen Reed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say its worth it. the cheaper you can get it the better, are you planing on "saving" the tank or tear down an cleaning everything?

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to get mixed opinions. Can this work? Yes, with a good vinegar bath and acid wash. It will take time and effort, but could work. Is it worth $300, no. I would agree with the above comments of looking for something newer. This isn't a cheap hobby and you will regret taking that route in the end. If your cube is running good, i'd start saving for a good build and not rush into a bigger tank like the one you mention.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be an aquarium tech and at times was faced with reclaiming a tank like that. If the glass is not all scratched up and if the center brace is the newer reinforced (they used to be just the standard center brace then they added more bracing at the bowfront side because the added pressure of the water against the bowed glass was causing the glass to pull away from the bracing), I would definitely try to get a good deal and make an offer.

I scrubbed tanks like that out with bleach. It kills all disease and it rinses without any residue. It appears to be soft plumbed which is pretty easy to redo. That has the potential to be a great tank and I would not be afraid of it..

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go $300, maybe toss them on offer for half that. That price point would certainly be worth it, and as nasty as that looks, not something that can't be overcome with a lot of elbow grease.

cmcimino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not worth $300, but I would buy and have bought a messy tank for cheap! My first tank was a 28 gallon nanocube. Got it with an old metal halide light, reefkeeper two that needed new probes, and the return pumps. I paid $20 bucks for it. I had to put some money back in it to get it up and running, but it was a great way to get in the hobby. Sometimes I wish I still had that tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back