Is Carbon meant to be a temporary fix or permanent part of the reef system?

How do you use carbon?

• Temporary fix when I need it

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Permanent part of my reef system

Votes: 48 64.9%
  • Other (posted in thread)

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

WhalesLovePineapple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium came with some chemiblue carbon packets. I decided to throw them in to see if it would make any difference to my corals that aren't fully opening or don't look too healthy. I know I do have phosphates and nitrates so this could be useful.

If I do see results, should I continue using carbon or does the maturity of the tank eventually make these additions obsolete?

clipperking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals not opening for to nitrates and pH. You have to get it right. Try vacuuming your sand, water change, lighting level. But definitely get your pH, and nitrates it's the first thing. You can do a fresh water dip with your corals and put back in tank see if that helps

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium came with some chemiblue carbon packets. I decided to throw them in to see if it would make any difference to my corals that aren't fully opening or don't look too healthy. I know I do have phosphates and nitrates so this could be useful.

If I do see results, should I continue using carbon or does the maturity of the tank eventually make these additions obsolete?
If you have a phosphate issue you want to get the chemipure elite.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people use GAC all the time, while others only use it for emergencies or "yellow" water. It's a personal choice, but constant use could be expensive. Only lasts for a couple weeks.

Chempure blue has resin it as well to help remove phosphate.

What's your water parameters?

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I personally prefer to use chemi pure elite constantly, it lasts 6 months I believe, so not too much switching out.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like your garden needs nitrogen and phosphates, so does you tank. I would remove them.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon (bought in bulk from BRS) 24/7/365 and have for over 30 years. It's great for removing some dissolved organics (yellow water) and will also take care of many toxins.

For those who run a "mixed" reef (soft and stony corals) removing the turpines released by the soft corals makes it's use, at least IMO, mandatory.

FWIW - chemipure is just fine carbon in a filter bag. Chemipure elite has some GFO added to help with phosphates. In the long run you will save a ton of money using bulk carbon and bulk GFO in reactors.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon (bought in bulk from BRS) 24/7/365 and have for over 30 years. It's great for removing some dissolved organics (yellow water) and will also take care of many toxins.

For those who run a "mixed" reef (soft and stony corals) removing the turpines released by the soft corals makes it's use, at least IMO, mandatory.

FWIW - chemipure is just fine carbon in a filter bag. Chemipure elite has some GFO added to help with phosphates. In the long run you will save a ton of money using bulk carbon and bulk GFO in reactors.

+1

Chemipure can get crazy expensive versus bulk in reactors if you can. Like flipper mentioned it is up to the reefer. Some think carbon all the time may lead to HLL in tangs or affect coral. I run all the time and have not seen any issues

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use multiple very small bags of mixed ChemiPure Blue and Purigen, in a small reactor. I change the oldest bag out once a month. I believe this maintains the benefits of carbon and resin filtration (particularly in a mixed reef), without the shock to sps corals that can accompany changing a large amount of carbon out at once. Particularly important imo when using a powerful carbon like the one in CPB or even stronger like Rox 0.8.

I run this continuously. If I happen to see a bump in phosphate then I might add some GFO, but only for a short while.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP states he knows he has no4 and po3 but does not have a number. No mention of an algea issue. So at this point he’s just guessing? Why would you suggest all these expensive unnessary fixes?

Last edited:

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does using carbon 24/7 remove alk in the system and do y’all dose or do water changes more often??

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is Carbon?

Are we talking about GAC, or biopellets, VSV and other sources of organic carbon for bacterial filtration?

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always run small amounts of carbon in a media chamber at a real slow flow rate to keep the water polished. It always seemed to work for me. I would literally just put 2 cups in a chamber and let it do its thing. I would change it out like every other month or so. Probably had a 100 gallons per hour or less of flow going through it.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is Carbon?

Are we talking about GAC, or biopellets, VSV and other sources of organic carbon for bacterial filtration?
I believe we are talking about GAC.

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one unit of Chemipure Blue in my BRS reactor. I change it every 3 months. I think of it as an insurance policy not a requirement

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a thread in desperate need of a complete set of parameters, a complete tank description including size/lighting/filtration/flow, and a list of the coral species you are having trouble with....

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use BRS bulk carbon (GAC) when I suspect dissolved organic levels are rising too high in my system i.e. waters starts to yellow, Cyano starts to show up, or a little foam starts to build up on the water's surface in the sump. I have a Tang that is recovering from Lateral Line Necrosis and the problems starts to get worse again if I use carbon too long. Some think carbon is the cause of this problem. I'm not sure, but anecdotally, I would agree it is at least a factor.

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used as needed.

It’s a luxury filter when used in great amounts I feel. Small amounts to pull tints and organics.
I do have a 2 stage reactor for emergency pulls of toxins.
Had a that palyotoxin once badly and it effected me

For a easy active filter put your bags in the overflow downtubes. Like a wet dry filter or trickle before your wet sump. Just don’t clog it or forget and get a accident. I use my shadows back box

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back