Is carbon necessary for longevity with Triton?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon passively 24/7 with Triton alternative methods, as I did with Zeovit and every tank I’ve had, over the last 15 years, to me running carbon is to use a little bit (200g in 800L tank) in a bag and never in a reactor, I still just agitate the bag occasionally as zeo recommend, I’ve never experienced HLLE or water yellowing. I get regular ICp’s done and never register anything unexpected. Does it do any good? Tbh I don’t know.. does it do ny harm? Doesn’t appear to..

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon passively 24/7 with Triton alternative methods, as I did with Zeovit and every tank I’ve had, over the last 15 years, to me running carbon is to use a little bit (200g in 800L tank) in a bag and never in a reactor, I still just agitate the bag occasionally as zeo recommend, I’ve never experienced HLLE or water yellowing. I get regular ICp’s done and never register anything unexpected. Does it do any good? Tbh I don’t know.. does it do ny harm? Doesn’t appear to..
What type/brand of carbon and how often do you change it?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type/brand of carbon and how often do you change it?
Whatever is available really, AF, rowacarbon or Zeocarbon I tend to only use the higher end brands, I’m not sure if they are purer or not but as a lot of reefers I’m a creature of habit and tend to stick with what I’ve not had issues with and seems to do what I want.

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BigJohnny my apologies for the simile, it was an attempt at levity.

Through our internal testing we have found running activated carbon is beneficial to the system by removing unwanted chemicals. I've reached out to the lab for more details regarding carbon type, and will present that info once it becomes available.

Speaking from my experience, I intermittently use carbon. I use it when I see a tint in the water, and when my clams/snails spawn every 2 months or so with the goal of removing organics from the water. I very likely could get away with not using the carbon to remove spawn as it is food for the tank's invertebrates, but nearly two decades of professionally maintaining tanks makes it really hard to walk away from a cloudy tank.
So... What did the lab say regarding the Gac?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back